The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need DNS zone entry if Nameservers are elsewhere?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by rick02840, Jun 24, 2008.

1. rick02840

rick02840 Registered

If a domain's nameservers are handled completely elsewhere, such as at the registrar, can I safely delete the DNS zone entry for the account where I have that domain's web site?

I am sure that the A Record is pointed correctly to the IP address of the site, and email is handled elsewhere (MX Record goes to the correct place).

I think the answer is yes - I can delete the DNS zone entry but not sure.

Why I want to do this is because email sent via forms on the web site is not getting delivered (sendmail) and I believe it is due the the DNS zone entry - specifically the MX record - as email for that domain is not handled by the same server that the website is located on.

I sure the answer is somewhere in the forum, but could not find.

2. kernow

kernow Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    No, you can't. You must at the very least keep the zone with its "A" record.
    No zone with "A" record = no web site.

3. rick02840

rick02840 Registered

Boy, actually it seems to work fine to delete the complete DNS zone.

Since my original post above, I experimented with a non-critical site.

First, I changed nameservers from my own on the VPS I use, to Go Daddy's. That took a while to take effect, but when it did, the site went down (went to a Go Daddy placeholder page).

Then I deleted the DNS zone for this domain from within WHM.

Then, I changed the A Record for the domain, from within Go Daddy admin, to point to the IP address of the site, and the site came back up.