Need DNS zone entry if Nameservers are elsewhere?

rick02840

Registered
Jun 24, 2008
If a domain's nameservers are handled completely elsewhere, such as at the registrar, can I safely delete the DNS zone entry for the account where I have that domain's web site?

I am sure that the A Record is pointed correctly to the IP address of the site, and email is handled elsewhere (MX Record goes to the correct place).

I think the answer is yes - I can delete the DNS zone entry but not sure.

Why I want to do this is because email sent via forms on the web site is not getting delivered (sendmail) and I believe it is due the the DNS zone entry - specifically the MX record - as email for that domain is not handled by the same server that the website is located on.

I sure the answer is somewhere in the forum, but could not find.

kernow

Jul 23, 2004
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
If a domain's nameservers are handled completely elsewhere, such as at the registrar, can I safely delete the DNS zone entry for the account where I have that domain's web site?
No, you can't. You must at the very least keep the zone with its "A" record.
No zone with "A" record = no web site.

rick02840

Registered
Jun 24, 2008
Boy, actually it seems to work fine to delete the complete DNS zone.

Since my original post above, I experimented with a non-critical site.

First, I changed nameservers from my own on the VPS I use, to Go Daddy's. That took a while to take effect, but when it did, the site went down (went to a Go Daddy placeholder page).

Then I deleted the DNS zone for this domain from within WHM.

Then, I changed the A Record for the domain, from within Go Daddy admin, to point to the IP address of the site, and the site came back up.