Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Need Domains to Share CGI-BIN Directory

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by urantian, Jan 27, 2005.

1. urantian

urantian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Greetings,

I'm moving from a virtual server environment, in which I host several domains. Each of the domains share a common CGI-BIN directory, which I use for running a custom shopping cart, and other scripts, for each site.

Using CPanel, how do I set up a similar shared environment? Is this done with the Addon domains? I know that the hosted domains would point to a sub-directory of one parent account. Would this cause each domain to share the same CGI-BIN directory assigned to the parent account?

Thank you,
    Michael Reynolds

2. gorilla

gorilla Well-Known Member

all add-on domains have their own CGI-BIN

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. urantian

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    How can I set up a CGI-BIN directory that would be common to other domains? With virtual hosting, hosted domains point to a subdirectory of a parent domain, similar to the Addon domains. Each virtual host uses the CGI-BIN directory of the parent domain. How can this be done with CPanel?

---Michael

4. weaver

weaver Active Member

You could create a symbolic link to a master cgi-bin if you have permissions to do so (shell access), if not I'm sure your host can set it up for you!

5. urantian

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I got it to work. By changing the CGI-BIN alias in the HTTPD.CONF file, the Virtual Host can have its CGI-BIN address point to any directory. This all works fine for subdomains.

Now, I am trying to get it to work for the reseller accounts. I want to do this because I may want to grant extra features to certain customers, while still routing their CGI-BIN activity to a different directory. (This is so I can manage their shopping cart product data in a single place.) I changed the HTTPD.CONF file, but I am getting a 500 server error when I attempt to run a script. At least I know I am getting it to point someplace else.

---Michael