The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help FAST if possible!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CanadianHost, Dec 27, 2004.

1. CanadianHost

CanadianHost Member

Hey Everyone,

My server was attacked by some PHP security hole. Now all message boards are missing their forums. FastServerManagement.com upgraded Cpanel and PHP to close the security hole but all forums are still missing...

Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem and bring back the forums? I left 3 voice messages for FSM but got no response from them.

My clients want answers yesterday not next week!

I also see this error on some of their sites:

Warning: Illegal offset type in /site/******/public_html/*****/sources/Topics.php on line 1441

2. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

actually it could have also been a phpbb security hole... you should have upgraded all your forums last month when the new version came out after the hole was discovered. But in addition, as you mention, there were also security holes in older versions of php and a new version of php was released to correct these. Both of these problems have working exploits and both are quite bad in terms of damage that could be caused and the server's security.

It's quite possible that your databases were deleted completely... so if you don't have backups, you're up a creek, without a paddle. But it may be that the permissions on the folders are screwed up... but there maybe bad files in among your forum files... so it's best to replace everything with the latest version.

Check mysql to see if your databases are still there and still have tables and data in them (phpMyAdmin would likely be an easy way to do that).

If they are still there, and even if they aren't, you should move your current forums main directory to a backup directory (preferably not accessible from the web) and install a clean new version of phpbb 2.0.11. Use your existing database if you have it... and check for other admin users that shouldn't be there, bad scripts in the database that are included on pages, etc. (see the phpbb.com forums for more info).

3. CanadianHost

CanadianHost Member

Problem solved thanks to FastServerManagement.com yet again...