Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Need help fixing owner/group access

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by devGOD, Aug 6, 2007.

1. devGOD

devGOD Well-Known Member

Is there a way to reset all own/group for folders on a site directory, without delete and reinstall the site?

2. markhard

markhard Well-Known Member

read manual about chown, type:

Code:
    man chown
    on your SSH console

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. devGOD

devGOD Well-Known Member

I'm aware of the chown and chgrp commands but I don't know what to set for each folder. some folders are mail group, root, user, etc... don't know what is set by default when a user account is created.

4. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

Well, you may have answered your own question. Create a fictitious account and reference the permissions.

5. beekeeper

beekeeper Active Member

Mail Directories / Folders User and Group Settings

I have a similar problem with RedHat server on WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.9.0 S9966.

Lately some users have reported issues with mail. When I checked the mail directories there were inconsistencies with the groups. For example old mailbox directories (located in /home/user1/mail/domain/) are set to user1:mail but if I create a new mailbox account in the user cPanel then the new mailbox directory user:group setting is set to user1:user1 which I suspect is not right.

What should the user:group settings in fact be for the mailbox directories (and sub directories)?

Any ideas or suggestions why my settings might have changed would be welcome.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...