Need help getting away from a bad vps

trec-r

Aug 10, 2008
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I am trying to move a client's email accounts to my server. Currently his email accounts are on a hostgator VPS which is very underpowered. I can not use FTP or SSH to access the HG VPS. When I try to compress the folder in cPanel file manager so that I can download the process seems to fail. I can copy the folder to a password protected http directory, however the permission are all wrong. I have a ticket in the HG but am afraid they will take to long or not be able to help at all.

Is there a way to recursively change permissions of directories and files in file manager? Anyone know of a FTP program that ignore TLS errors to allow directory listings?

If I change the MX entries and change from auto to remote will it push all the mail to the new server?

Also does anyone know if I start a process to compress a directory in file manager, will it continue if I close the window or logout?

Last edited by a moderator:

dalem

PartnerNOC
Oct 24, 2003
SLC
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Use the CLI and rsync only way to change permissions recursively is to the cli
WinSCP will allow you to view the directory listings without SSL error and probably filezillia if you log in via SFTP

If I change the MX entries and change from auto to remote will it push all the mail to the new server? Yes if the new site is hosted elsewhere

Also does anyone know if I start a process to compress a directory in file manager, will it continue if I close the window or logout?
yes it should be still running just check to processes to see if its still running

Eric

Nov 25, 2007
Texas
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
Howdy,

There are some CLI tools that will IMAP to IMAP move/copy mail. It sounds like this may be what you're left with.

I've only had to use it a handful of times when going from something like Exchange to cPanel or cobalt raq4 to cPanel but it works as long as the base client protocols work.

Thanks and Good Luck.

trec-r

Aug 10, 2008
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
If I change the MX entries and change from auto to remote will it push all the mail to the new server? Yes if the new site is hosted elsewhere
I am getting mixed messages about this. About half of the people I talk to say it will not move the emails to the new server. Have you personally done this?

trec-r

Aug 10, 2008
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
There are some CLI tools that will IMAP to IMAP move/copy mail. It sounds like this may be what you're left with.
I have used those in the past and was disappointed in the number of emails that failed. Is there a tool you would recommend?

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
I am getting mixed messages about this. About half of the people I talk to say it will not move the emails to the new server. Have you personally done this?
Hello :)

Could you provide some additional details about the existing email configuration? For instance, is email handled through a particular email client, or is it handled through a webmail application? Is it configured for POP or IMAP if handled through an email client on a workstation?

Thank you.

trec-r

Aug 10, 2008
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Could you provide some additional details about the existing email configuration? For instance, is email handled through a particular email client, or is it handled through a webmail application? Is it configured for POP or IMAP if handled through an email client on a workstation?
The users are all using IMAP to access their email. Sometimes from their phones and sometimes from the webmail portal.