The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help installing binaries

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by baidarkabob, Dec 9, 2004.

1. baidarkabob

baidarkabob Well-Known Member

Hello, I am trying to set up an online image gallery on our server. There are a few things that need to be installed for it to work.

The gallery configuration script tells me that 2 out of 3 Imagemagick binaries were found. I tried installing/reinstalling the Imagemagick rpms but this message did not change. I downloaded the Imagemagick rpm from the IM website and uploaded it to the server /tmp directory. From SSH i ran:

So now I guess I need a couple more files. I thought i was doing pretty good to get this far but am starting to cast about to get these other files and I would appreciate some instruction if you are willing.

Also, the gallery wants me to install ffmpeg. I tried loading this perl module via WHM but got this:

I am hoping someone can help me make things OK.

Thanks,

Bob

2. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

Did you see this notice on the Gallery home page?

What OS/version are you running on? You seem to be using an older version of glibc.

You might need to build the rpm from the source rpm... or even make and install from the source itself.

3. baidarkabob

Thanks for the reply

Thanks for the reply dezignguy. I had seen the notice on the gallery home page about imagemagick. I installed the rpm via WHM before trying it manually and the gallery configurator said I was missing a file (IM version 5.4.3.11-1). I will have to do some work to figure out what file is missing. Installing the lastest version of IM was an attempt to get the missing file by upgrading to a new version but it could be more problems in the end at this point.

Just to be sure, is the path to imagemagick usr/bin?

The Glibc version I am using is what came with WHM and I do not know how to update it to version 2.3. I would appreciate some help here.

Any thoughts on the problem I encountered trying to install the FFMPEG module?

Thanks again,

bob

#3 baidarkabob, Dec 10, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  4. dezignguy

What OS and version are you running? That makes a fairly big difference when using rpms.

Use
    Code:
    whereis convert
    to find where one of the main imagemagick program(s) lives... the other binaries will also be there.

You may have several of them in different directories... in that case, you can find which version is which by:

Code:
    /path/to/convert --version

5. baidarkabob

Thanks for the continued assistance.

WHM 9.9.7 cPanel 9.9.8-R5
    RedHat 7.3 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0
    Linux server2.4.20-021stab022.8.777-enterprise #1 SMP Fri Nov 12 10:42:02 MSK 2004 i686 unknown

I ran the whereis commands and recieved this:
    root@server [~]# whereis convert
    convert: /usr/X11R6/bin/convert /usr/bin/X11/convert
    root@server [~]# whereis identify
    identify: /usr/X11R6/bin/identify /usr/bin/X11/identify

Version: @(#)ImageMagick 5.4.3 03/05/02 Q:16 http://www.imagemagick.org
    Copyright: Copyright (C) 2002 ImageMagick Studio LLC

In the gallery setup I tried /usr/X11R6/bin as the path to IM and it appears to have worked!

Is that x11r6 the result of being on some kind of shared machine? A virtual dedicated?

Thanks very much for helping me with imagemagick!

Now I need to get FFMPEG to install. Any advice on that?

Bob

6. dezignguy

Ahh yes... redhat 7.3 - it's not going to be fun to upgrade glibc on an older machine like that (everything is linked together, so you have to practically upgrade everything, and breaking those links while upgrading or encountering errors can cause serious problems)... it's only for advanced users... I wouldn't dare doing that on a remote, production server. So you'll have to use rpms that are built for your system, or build your own rpms from the source rpm... or make from source.

These are the imagemagick rpms built for rh 7.3
    http://www.imagemagick.net/download/linux/redhat-7.x/i386/
    Those should just work for you and you can upgrade your imagemagick to a little more recent version (since yours is below the recommended version). ;-) Be sure to change the location you use for im as they will likely be installed to the new default location.

Your imagemagick is in the X11 directory because it's actually an X-Windows application... but the rpms you install from the IM site will probably install it in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin

FFmpeg... not sure.. I haven't used that for my gallery and I haven't run across that error before while using cpan packages. But I'd guess that ./configure isn't being run for ffmpeg, or doesn't exist... so the install paths aren't getting setup correctly. You can try installing it from cpan directly... but it's likely to have the same problem there. You can try building the source directly from the site too, I don't know if gallery can use that though.

#6 dezignguy, Dec 12, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2004
  7. baidarkabob

I'm back

Hello,

We recently migrated to a Fedora 2 box and I am trying to install FFMPEG again. From install Perl modules in WHM I found FFMPEG. When I try to install I get a message that "you didn't define environmental variable $FFMPEG_ROOT at Makefile.PL line 6."

How do i define this variable?

I don't mind installing FFMPEG from source if that is necessary but I would need some instruction as to how this is done. I did not find any instructions in the FFMPEG.gzip I downloaded yesterday.

Here is the complete installation attempt message.

Thanks,
    Bob