The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help regarding moving accounts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pshepperd, Nov 8, 2005.

1. pshepperd

pshepperd Well-Known Member

I need someone's best practices for moving cpanel servers.

I have moved accounts one at a time, but never an entire server.
    I am currently with 1and1 and recently their support time has really scared me.

Could someone tell me about their experience moving aprox 40 accounts or more?

I am quite aware of the DNS issues, and the technical aspects of it. I just want to know if anyone has done this, and how they fared with it.

Also, how do I transition cpanel, do I change the ip its licensed to? Do i get a test license for the new server?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

A test lice for the new server would be best and then migrate your license to the new IP address once moved through the cPanel site.

I would recommend setting up the new server with the same feature sets and plans as the existing one together with the rest of the configuration in WHM. Then perform a full cPanel backup and copy that over to the new server and then perform a multi-account restore and reload the whole lot. Then switch the domains to the new ip address(es).

3. pshepperd

pshepperd Well-Known Member

Thanks chripster, by the way, that mailscanner I had you guys put on is AMAZING!

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Glad you're enjoying it :)