The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help setting up nameserver

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by nkalush, Aug 18, 2011.

1. nkalush

nkalush Member

I recently got a VPS that uses cpanel WHM and I set it up using mostly default information because, well, I'm 100% on what I'm doing. I set up an account and everything for one of my domain's websites and used the nameservers that I thought I had set up, but it looks like I didn't do it right because the domain goes nowhere right now, and I got this message about the vps's domain:

I think that means I didn't set up the nameservers correctly, but I'm not sure. I'm also not sure how to edit etc/hosts/...
    When setting up the nameservers, it asked me for two different IPs but i only had one(the ip of the VPS) so I just put that in for ns2 as well. I think that may have been an issue. Also, the nameservers are ns1.managemyvps.com which at the time, I thought was correct as that's the url I use to get to my WHM area, so it made sense that they would handle nameservers, but now I am thinking that is not the case and I need to set up my own.

SUMMARY:
    I need to know how to set up my nameservers, so that I can point a bunch of domains at my vps and have them go to the correct place. I tried to set it up already and probably have a bunch of wrong information in a bunch of wrong places.

I feel like this is something pretty standard but I seem to be looking in all the wrong places for the info.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as the company I got the VPS from offers no support.

2. fi77i

fi77i Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Did you try to follow cpanel suggestion?

"You may be able to automatically correct this problem by using the
    'Add an A entry for your hostname' option under 'Dns Functions' in your Web Host Manager."

About the name servers IP's, adding the same IP for both name server is not suggestible, but I think this isn't the issue here.

#2 fi77i, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  3. nkalush

nkalush Member

I did try that, but it didn't seem to help, the domain in question danadvance.com still goes nowhere, there may be other steps I am missing afterwards

4. fi77i

fi77i Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Did you set your name servers at your registrar?

You need to set them there to point to your server, and then configure the dns zone for your domain.

EG.

At registrar

ns1.domain.xyz 10.9.8.7
    ns2.domain.xyz 10.9.8.7

Then edit the dns zone for domain.xyz in whm edit dns zone section and add the following records.

ns1 IN A 10.9.8.7
    ns2 IN A 10.9.8.7

5. nkalush

nkalush Member

Thanks, I've tried that, hopefully it will work. I wish these things were more instant, as I don't know how long to give it before declaring it working or not... well... I guess it would be obvious if it were working.. the not working is the problem.

6. fi77i

fi77i Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The propagation should take about 24 hours.

Hope this work for you.

7. nkalush

nkalush Member

It worked! Thanks a ton. Now I just have to do it with the other domains.