The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help to understand ServerStatus Daily Process Log %

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1mher3, Dec 3, 2010.

1. 1mher3

1mher3 Registered

My problem:

Server was extremely slow and I reported that problem to my hosting. Later I received notification from my Shared cpanel hosting provider that my account is using too much CPU.
    They sent me few screenshots from "Server Status > Daily Process Logs" page displaying %CPU usage for my account ~8%.
    One screenshot was for the day server become slow, however others were from time server operated fast, so I believe that my site did not cause overload.

Anyway my site should be using no were close to that much CPU.
    I wrote a script to get server stats (with exec('uptime')) and send that info to me every few minutes.
    I collected info for past day but it never shows more than 4% CPU usage and most of the time CPU usage was less than 1%.
    Question I must ask
    How is it that Server Status > Daily Process Logs shows 8% just for my account alone when data I got with exec('uptime') indicates that all server CPU usage combined should be below 1%?
    Is it possible that Server Status > Daily Process Logs does not show overall % of CPU capacity usage, but given account's contribution % of CPU resources used by all accounts?
    Cause my observation can only make sense if all server used ~1% CPU and mine account is responsible for 8% of that usage.