The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with addon domain

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by dfine, Jan 9, 2006.

1. dfine

dfine Registered

I am confused about what exactly an addon domain is. If I add a second domain eg. domain2.com what will visitors see in the browser address? Would it be domain2.com or domain2.domain1.com? I want to have a second domain that does NOT show my original domain at all.
    Also, when I go to the addon domains section what do I fill into the field labeled "Username/directory/subdomain Name:" It doesn't make much sense to me.

2. Danny_T

Danny_T Well-Known Member

I had this problem too, the addon domain shows not the addon domain at the URL.
    If a customer adds a addon domain then i edit the httpd.conf by hand.
    So if more ppl intrested in a good sollution (by adding right lines into httpd.conf by cpanel) then maybe someone can bug it or request it orso.

3. tuxdesk

tuxdesk Well-Known Member

An addon domain is a domain name that that points to a subdirectory within your account. For example, you may want example.com to point to domainname.com/example/. When you access addon domain you can see only that domain in the browser. Addon domains must be registered domain names that you own and configured to point to your web site's servers.

Addon Domain Maintenance:
    Register the Domain Name which you want to add on
    Change the nameservers to the following:ns.domain.com, ns2.domain.com
    Click "Addon Domains"
    New Domain Name: Put in the Registered Domain Name
    Username/directory/subdomain Name: Enter the Name of the directory which contains the subdomain to which you want to point this new registered domain at.
    Password: Choose a password and fill in
    Click "Add Domain"

How to delete an Add-on Domain:
    Click "Addon Domains"
    Select the addon domain you wish to remove from the drop down box next to " Remove Addon Domain"
    Click " Delete Domain"

#3 tuxdesk, Jan 14, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2006