The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help With Apache Auto-Restart

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by n2nis, Nov 24, 2001.

1. n2nis

n2nis Active Member

I just woke up this morning to find out my server was down almost all last night. The reason being when cpanel was restarting it didn\'t know the password for my ssl. I really don\'t know if it is even setup to start ssl. Can anyone help me with configuring CPanel so that it starts ssl first and knows my password (or should I just take the password right off?). Thank you in advance for any help.

2. xnull

xnull Well-Known Member

Ours is doing this too! WTF. Our server has been down for hours now, and I can\'t get into WHM either. I have received a few emails about Apache restarting, so my only guess is that a bug in the last update of WHM is causing the server to continuously reboot.. What\'s the deal!? I can\'t even get ahold of Burst support right now to fix this... and I can\'t do anything on our server..

3. feanor

feanor Well-Known Member

Can you get in with SSH to at least give it a /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd startssl , and then feed it the SSL passphrase? That will at least get things going...

and a /etc/rc.d/init.d/cpanel3 restart , should bring up your WHM again.... might want to kill all portsentry processes before you do that though.

You should build your SSL passphrases into the keys/certificates for future usage. Perhaps there is a bigger issue that made this not a possibility on your server- or maybe it is even a more widespread issue.

For now, I would shell in and get http started up the hard way, and then bring up the WHM as suggested.

Good luck!

4. n2nis

n2nis Active Member

After talking to my provider if you want to have whm control apache and want to use ssl you can\'t use pass phrases, also if you want to have multiple ssl\'s. Remove the SSL from the ssl keys. To do that type the following where your cert key is stored:
    openssl rsa -in whateveryourcert.key -out whateveryourcert.key
    You will be asked the pass phrase. After that you should be able to reset apache without having to use passphrases and with using whm.

5. xnull

xnull Well-Known Member

I don\'t know if that was it or not.. The server was down for at least 4 hours today. We could not get into anything, including FTP and SSH.

I thank you for your suggestions, but was not able to try them. At least the server has come back up and I hope it doesn\'t die again. Now I just have to deal with one or two services dying each hour since it came back up.

6. n2nis

n2nis Active Member

That was how my trouble started happening, that was just so apache would re-start on it\'s own. I would suggest having your provider rebuild the kernel, that has taken care of my problem.