The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help with FBSD Installation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by armondc, May 24, 2006.

1. armondc

armondc Registered

First of all:
    Note: For FreeBSD, you need to download and untar the latest installer package from http://www.cpanel.net/.

I don't see such an installer package anywhere, under "Layer 1" or "Layer 2" downloads.

Secondly...I have a very broad question here...how does cpanel interact with AMP (apache, mysql, php)?

I mean, I'm running FreeBSD. If it wasn't for customers wanting cpanel, I would of just installed apache, mysql, php via the freebsd PORTS system, and that would of been that.

Now, I'm very ticky when it comes to my installation...So I have some basic questions here:
    1) When I install CPANEL, will it ask me if I want to install PHP5? MySQL5? (instead of older versions?)
    2) Would it be a good idea, or would it even work, to just install the software myself first via the ports system the way I'd like, then install cpanel? Would that even work?

Sorry for the confusion, I'm just used to setting up everything myself!

Thanks,
    Armond

2. xprt5

xprt5 Well-Known Member

1) Yes you will have the option to install Mysql 4.1 or 5.0 and PHP 4.4.2 or PHP 5 thru WHM after installation.

2) No DO NOT install anything thru ports, cPanel needs a base installation with nothing installed/configured in order to work properly.

If you do install anything besides the OS itself (bare minimum) then you risk corrupting cPanel software installation and will need to reinstall the OS again to resolve it.

You can find the cPanel installer and installation docs here
    http://layer2.cpanel.net/

3. jackie46

jackie46 BANNED

Thats not true at all! Stop giving our wrong information.

4. xprt5

xprt5 Well-Known Member

And what would you be flaming about exactly?

Should i clarify more? guess so..

Taken directly from cPanel Docs..

Before you begin:

cPanel should only be installed on a blank server with a fresh operating system install. No data should be on the server that you wish to keep. This includes but is not limited to web pages, configuration files, scripts, user accounts. cPanel makes many changes to your system including downloading needed packages and configuring them for you.

So what part of what i said was incorrect information?

5. jackie46

jackie46 BANNED

Im not flaming. You said ports should not be used at all. Perl, PyZor, DCC, WGET, MySQL, ClamV, MailScanner, Imagemagick plus a whole lot of applications can be installed safely from ports.

Thats what im saying.

You said:
    Which is not true at all! Thats the part that is wrong.

In order for cpanel to install properly you need to go though and install a whole bunch of things from ports to start with. Search for "installing freebsd" in these forums. Once you have installed everything required from ports then you should go ahead and install cpanel. Cpanel will take care of the rest.

#5 jackie46, May 25, 2006
    Last edited: May 25, 2006
  6. xprt5

xprt5 Well-Known Member

My reply was in response to his 2 questions and had nothing to do with what your talking about.

Before installing cPanel you should not install anything thru ports, if you want to configure something after that then its your perogative.

Your rantings are just confusing people and completely off topic, please dont post unless its relevant and helpful.

7. jackie46

jackie46 BANNED