Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Need Help with my Cron Job Script [moved]

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by psquillace, Aug 22, 2006.

1. psquillace

psquillace Registered

Hello All:
    Over the past 3 days I have tried every cron job imagineable to get my backup script to run.

Let me start at the begining, I have a backup script in php that will backup all my reseller accounts on my shared hosting. The problem is, I want to make a cron job so I do not have to run it every week.

I set up in the cpanel to run http://www.gzws.com/backup.php in standard mode but that did not work.

then, I set up php http://www.gzws.com/backup.php which returned it could not find the file backup.php but it was on my public server.

I tried the example GET: that cpanel offers however I get an error saying that GET is not a valid command.

Can someone tell me if I put this file in WWW or Public_html folder how do I make a cron job for it in standard mode.

I got the selecting the time thing down, I just need to know what to do in that command line input box.

whew...

thanks for any advice or help,

Paul

2. nickp666

nickp666 Well-Known Member

if you are running a php script from a cron job you will need to call the script by its unix path rather than the url itself

e.g. php /home/username/public_html/backup.php

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. psquillace

psquillace Registered

Thanks Nick,
    I will try that and let you know what happens.

Paul

4. psquillace

psquillace Registered

Got a weird message

I don't know what this means but I got this from Cron Just now off my cpanel when I ran the script:

ar: Removing leading `/' from member names
    tar: /home/gzws/public_html/media/silverion/SangKuriaNgs.usr: Cannot open: Permission denied
    tar: /home/gzws/public_html/media/silverion/si-kancil.chn: Cannot open: Permission denied
    tar: /home/gzws/public_html/media/silverion/Kalor-Ijau.chn: Cannot open: Permission denied
    tar: /home/gzws/public_html/media/silverion/SangKuriaNgs.chn: Cannot open: Permission denied
    tar: /home/gzws/public_html/media/silverion/si-kancil.usr: Cannot open: Permission denied
    tar: /home/gzws/public_html/media/silverion/Kalor-Ijau.usr: Cannot open: Permission denied
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
    X-Powered-By: PHP/4.4.3
    Content-type: text/html

- - End Script Here - -

If you want to exclude a directory, add the --exclude parm to the tar command as shown in the example below (which will exlcude the public_html/audio directory):
    system("tar --create --preserve --gzip --file=".$target." --exclude ~/public_html/audio ~/public_html ~/mail",$result);

I am assuming this is cause of the script I hav and not the cron job I just set up.

thanks for any advice again.

Paul

5. nickp666

nickp666 Well-Known Member

indeed it is, the script doesnt have permission over the files its trying to tar

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. psquillace

psquillace Registered

Great,

thanks again Nick for all your help.