The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need RDNS Set Up Help

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by anon77, Jul 15, 2011.

1. anon77

anon77 Registered

I'm with a DC in Russia that says they have delegated RDNS authority to me (instead of them handling it themselves). Their support is pretty much non-existent with dedicated servers and I need help setting up RDNS entries for multiple domains connected to multiple IP addresses. Any help in this area would be good because I have no clue what the heck I am doing.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. fi77i

fi77i Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Usually the RDNS is something set by the DC.
    Did your check your DC panel? Maybe there is a tool there that could help you with that.
    I suggest you to get some management if you do not have any linux knowledge and your DC support is non-existent for your dedicated servers.
    Let us know for any help.
    Regards.

3. ServerMascot

ServerMascot Member

You can do a whois lookup for your IP and get the people responsible for it. You will need to contact them to setup a RDNS. This is the normal procedure

Usually IPs are the property of the DC and only they will have the ability to set the RDNS for you unless they delegate authority for your reverse DNS entries to your DNS servers. So in your case as they say they have done this, They must have provided some option for you to do this from your DC control panel.

If they have not done this this will need to be done from the back end via adding a PTR record for your IP and creating the necessary zone files.

Let us know if you would want us to assist you further with this.

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We have documentation on how to create rDNS for IP zone files in WHM:

Configuring Reverse DNS in WHM

This would work if the datacenter has delegated the IPs to you to configure the PTR records for those IPs.