The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need software to setup accounts for people to download documents/videos?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tnedator, Feb 21, 2012.

1. tnedator

tnedator Member

Not sure if this is the right forum, but hoping someone has some ideas.

I have a friend that needs a solution that I'm going to try and help him with. The plan is to set him up a cpanel account on one of my servers.

He's doing some training/consulting with a handful of people (maybe 10-30) and he wants to be able to give them usernames/passwords and let them then access content for download. It will be a combination of documents (word or PDF) and some video/webinar stuff.

I'm not sure if one of the Fantastico CMS products is the best route or if there is something better for this. I would prefer not to go the route of manually putting .htacess username/passwords on directories, because I want him to be able to keep up with his clients after I set it up for him and easily add new content for them to access.

If a CMS or other similar product is the best route, my first goal would be something with a good security reputation, and the second would be a quick spin up, as I don't want to spend a lot of time getting this going for him.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. PlotHost

PlotHost Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Re: Need software to setup accounts for people to download documents/videos

I would go with a password protected directory (he can easily do this via cpanel) - as the class is small and I suppose all the students will have access to the same files.
    Of course a more elegant solution is a document manager cms.

3. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Re: Need software to setup accounts for people to download documents/videos

If you want to keep it very simple, password-protected directories should do what you want, as PlotHost suggested. You can read about them in our documentation here:

Password Protect Directories