The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some advice on backups, need it working badly

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Glasswalker, May 30, 2006.

1. Glasswalker

Glasswalker Member

Hello. I need full backups of the server, I am capable of using the ftp backups built into whm, but they don't allow for config backups or anything. I want FULL backups.

I have 3 problems:
    #1 I can't easily get a second hard drive in my server
    #2 I have limited space on said server
    #3 I have a remote server with tons of hdd space but don't know how to go about it.

So I want to run full backups, but I want them transferred somehow to the remote server (via ftp or something).

The issues with that are:
    How should I make the backups? using cpbackup, and the normal /backup method for full backups? or should I just tarball /home /usr/local/cpanel /etc /var and so on.

Also I want to make a backup schedule where once per week (sunday) there is a full backup, but the backups through the week are incrimental. (this is because just my /home folders for my 300+ users eats up 12GB (compressed) and my remote backup server is physically in my office, which is connected with 3meg DSL, so transferring that backup will literally take damn near 24 hours, so that won't work... I was hoping to do incrimental daily on tuesday-saturday, then sunday run the full backup, then nothing on monday (in case the full backup runs into 2 days to download) or something...

I desperately need backups here, and I don't know what to do to achieve it... I can't afford to pay my provider for backup space large enough to hold the backup schedule I want to run (I want to keep 1 weekly for the past month, and one monthly for the past year, as well as daily incrimentals for the past month, so I built a dual processor server here with 1TB of hdd space on Raid5 with 2 hot spares (actual hardware raid5), so that should be good and secure for my backup drive...

but now I am running into bandwidth problems and such... I got burned real bad by my last datacenter, they lost me alot of data, and they were supposed to be handling backups, so I don't want to "trust" a datacenter anymore for backups, I want to handle it inhouse, and I can't afford to pay 2 different datacenters to handle it (for redundancy). so once again, inhouse it is... But how the hell do I get around this? cpanel's backup function just seems very limited... (I am used to using win2k3 backup schemes and such where I can simply say "make an incrimental on these days, and then a full backup on these days, and retain them this way, and put them here on this remote drive" but I don't like windows much as a webserver...

sorry, rambling alot, been up for 48 hours straight trying to get this done, because I need a backup made before the 1st, (when one of my servers is going down, and a new one comes up to replace it, and I want backups in case something goes wrong)

2. bazzi

bazzi Well-Known Member

have you thougth of a incredible backup with a networkdrive (NFS drive)
    You make a NFS to your backupserver and let cpanel do a incredible backup to /backupremote (or how your network drive is named). The first time it is a pain in the ass, but after that yust changed files are transfered.

You can even rsync everything to your remote backup drive if you do'nt trust the cpanelbackup tool

3. anand

anand Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You could just modify the cpbackup script and have it rsync everything to your office server instead of copying it over to /backup.

4. bmcgrail

bmcgrail Well-Known Member

rsync is a good option but it will overwrite what you have on the remote server every time you run it. If you set this up as a cron job it could be costly unless you run a file rotate cron job on the backup server.

You might want to look into rdiff-backup at http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/
    Its like rsync but will keep version history and still it only transferes the bit changes keeping bandwidth down.

5. RandyO

RandyO Well-Known Member

although not fail safe, why not just add a second hard drive to the existing server? with 300 clients you should have enough profit to justify this. From the backup drive you could always download to a local box (you say you have bandwidth issues however)

6. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

I've been using the 'rsync and rotate' method for several months now, and it's been bullet-proof. Full cpanel backups run nightly, then those backups are rsync to a remote server, where they are rotated daily.

There's thread here for making the cpanel backups rsync-friendly, as the default backups use gzip compression which isn't rsync-friendly.

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=47076

If you're interested in a rotation script, I'll post that.

7. sv1

sv1 Well-Known Member

I would be interested in the rotation script :D

8. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

Just updated the first post (mentioned above) with the rotation script.