The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need some dns advice please

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by keat63, Dec 16, 2014.

1. keat63

keat63 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Guys.

I purchased my server with view to migrating a domain from a hosting plan.
    NS currently points to the hosting plan, so the host handles mail, www DNS and DirectAdmin etc.

I was hoping to migrate this in the new year, but i may have to bring my plan forward.
    The web site isn't quite ready yet, as this needs a little re-coding to suit PHP5.
    However, what I plan to do with your help is move the emails (if at all possible)

I've created the domain in WHM, which has built the WHM DNS entries.
    The NS is still pointing to the host, so i'm assuming nothing has changed and the site will continue to function until I change the NS to point to my server.

Am i being naive in thinking that once i change the NS to point to my server, I could then let my server handle the user email traffic but change my the DNS entries so that the web traffic stays with it's current host until i've had chance to re-code the PHP ?

If this would work, what changes would i need to make in DNS.
    Also the web site is a shopping cart, so sends emails not only to the customer, but also to us.
    I guess it would be the host server sending the emails and not my server.
    How would SPF handle this ?

I'm planning on doing this sooner rather than later.

#1 keat63, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Yes, this would work. You would simply update the "A" records to point to the IP address associated with the account on the previous server.

You could modify the SPF record using the "Edit a DNS Zone" option in WHM to include the additional IP address.

Thank you.

3. keat63

keat63 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for this, I think i may start the NS transfers tomorrow evening, which gives me time to start testing.