The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need some DNS help please

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by heyjohnboy, Oct 29, 2004.

1. heyjohnboy

heyjohnboy Well-Known Member

Hi. We have two servers setup with dns clustering, and it works great. Changes to one update the other, and the other way around.

But now we've added a 3rd box, and we're not sure how to configure it. We turned bind off, and set the master nameserver to point to the cluster, which updates properly. The problem is that when we create a new account on the 3rd box, the DNS zone that gets created on the nameservers sets the A record to the IP of the box the nameserver is on. We want a new account from the 3rd box to create a DNS zone with the IP of the 3rd box.

Can anyone help us get that configured properly? Thanks in advance.

John

2. nickn

nickn Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

This was posted awhile ago, hopefully it will help:

In this example We will have 8 machines, broken down to 3 DNS machines and 5 hosting machines. We will label them as:

DNS1 = DNS Machine
    DNS2 = DNS Machine
    DNS3 = DNS Machine

SERVER1 = Hosting Server
    SERVER2 = Hosting Server
    SERVER3 = Hosting Server
    SERVER4 = Hosting Server
    SERVER5 = Hosting Server

Firstly, the DNS Servers (DNS1-3) will be exclusively DNS servers. No hosting will happen on these servers.

Login to WebHostingManager on each Hosting Server (SERVER1-5), navigate to the Cluster Managerment area and ADD DNS1 to each (You may need to go to DNS1 and mutually add a remote key for SERVER1-5).

Now set DNS1 as synchronizing in each of the hosting servers (SERVER1-5).

Next, You will now go to DNS1's WHM and enter the cluster management area, you should see SERVER 1-5 listed as standalone servers. Now add DNS2 and DNS3 to the cluster (You may need to login to DNS2 and DNS3 and mutually add DNS1 to the respective cluster)

After Added, You will set DNS2 and DNS3 to Synchronize Changes.

Follwoing this, load DNS2 and DNS3's WHM and go into the cluster management area and set each to synchronize with DNS1

You should now see the following on each servers:

DNS1: All servers in cluster listed, SERVER1-5 (standalone) and DNS2-3 (synchronize)
    DNS2: DNS1 listed to Synchronize
    DNS3: DNS1 listed to Synchronize

SERVER1: SERVER1 listed to Synchronize
    SERVER2: SERVER1 listed to Synchronize
    SERVER3: SERVER1 listed to Synchronize
    SERVER4: SERVER1 listed to Synchronize
    SERVER5: SERVER1 listed to Synchronize

3. heyjohnboy

how to do a slight variation?

Thanks very much for posting this.

We were unsure if this setup would still apply, because our DNS servers are also doing hosting and are not DNS only, but we tested it and everything works perfectly.

Someone should make the post you quoted a sticky, because it serves as a very easy setup tutorial for DNS clustering in a multiple server environment, whether you are using DNS-only servers or just combo DNS/Web Hosting servers.

Thanks again.

#3 heyjohnboy, Oct 29, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2004
  4. patrick24601

patrick24601 Member

heyjohnboy,

How did you do this with the two servers?

I am in similar situation. I am setting up server2 - a new server. Right now I only have ns1 and ns2 nameservers pointed to server1. I want to get server1 and server2 in a cluster.

I think I have them clustered right but I want to confirm.

I've added each server to the others cluster. So in the little picture that WHM draws on each server - the other server is showed at the other end of the arrow. Server1 shows it will replicate to server2, and server2 shows it will replicate to server1.

This will not create some kind of loop when a DNS update is made?

5. patrick24601

patrick24601 Member

Also: After I have them clustered I go to add a new account to the 2nd server. It says I need to setup nameservers.

Do I still need to config ns1 and ns2 on the new server? If so - which IP addresses do I use - the ones from the new server or the ones from the old (existing) server?

6. heyjohnboy

If you go back and look closely at the explanation that nickn shared, it explains the cluster setup pretty well. Basically, it sounds like you got it right.

So from cluster management in box1, box2 will show and you will select "synchronize changes." From cluster management in box2, box1 will show and you will select "synchronize changes."

Regarding the IPs, you want to change the A record for one of the nameservers on the original box1 to an IP on box two. Then make sure that box2 has DNS entries for both nameservers. ns1.domain.com should be the original IP on box1, and ns2.domain.com should be an IP on box2. You can set them both using the "edit setup" option within WHM, and use the "add an Ip" and "create an A record" options.

Then check your DNS zones for your nameservers on each box. You'll probably have to delete the second IP on box1 (the one you were using as ns2.domain.com when you had them both on one box). You want to end up with the same DNS entries on both boxes, with an A record for ns1 showing an IP from box1, and an A record for ns2 using an IP from box2.

7. Kingman

Kingman Active Member
    PartnerNOC

Anyone using this guide should be aware that reseller accounts SHOULD NOT be set up on any of the hosting servers allowing reseller level WHM access.

Using WHM (even at reseller level) in this arrangement allows any reseller to delete ANY DNS zone (for any domain on any of the hosting servers) which will effectively put the domain offline. Repeat: Any reseller can knock offline any domain hosted within the cluster in just three clicks. All they need to know is the domain name they want to knock offline.

8. Snowman30

Snowman30 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I know this is an old post but ive just been goign thru this and im concerned, does this issue with resellers still exist?

I assume the reference to a reseller being able to terminate an account is only based on the assumption that the reseller knows what the domain name is right?

surely resellers can only delete domains/accounts associated with their reseller account???

9. gdgray

gdgray Member

The example isn't making sense to me.

DNS1: All servers in cluster listed, SERVER1-5 (standalone) and DNS2-3 (synchronize)
    DNS2: DNS1 listed to Synchronize
    DNS3: DNS1 listed to Synchronize

SERVER1: SERVER1 listed to Synchronize
    SERVER2: SERVER1 listed to Synchronize
    SERVER3: SERVER1 listed to Synchronize
    SERVER4: SERVER1 listed to Synchronize
    SERVER5: SERVER1 listed to Synchronize

Shouldn't the last section read like this?

SERVER1: DNS1 listed to Synchronize
    SERVER2: DNS1 listed to Synchronize
    SERVER3: DNS1 listed to Synchronize
    SERVER4: DNS1 listed to Synchronize
    SERVER5: DNS1 listed to Synchronize