The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some guidance on how DNS works in WHM

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by zackw, Nov 18, 2011.

1. zackw

zackw Active Member

I have domains at Softlayer.
    The NS records for those domains go to my DNS service provider, we'll call them dns.com. On dns.com I edit all the A and cname and MX records as is normal to do, all those records pretty much just point back to my server.

On one of my domains I set up a subdomain A record, so sub.mydomain.com that points to the server's IP as well.

Here is where it gets odd. I am NOT using my server as a name server, none of my domains are "registered" as a name server on Softlayer (although one used to and pointed to an old, canceled server, I deleted the NS registration records on that domain).
    On WHM, I created an account for that subdomain as per normal. It works fine. However, I'm trying to figure out the zone file on WHM for this subdomain account. There are all these records in there (that are wrong) and I don't know why. My DNS is handled on dns.com, my server is not a name server, I don't know why there is this zone file with all these entries in it.

The question is, in WHM I can delete zones, add zones, edit zones, "Add an A entry for your hostname". I don't know if any of that stuff is used or not! To host an account is it required to have a zone? If I delete the zone does that also delete the account? I'm not sure what to do with all the zone records and DNS stuff on WHM since my registrar is softlayer and my dns is handled at dns.com, what is the purpose of all the DNS features on WHM? I know the server runs BIND, is that required or can I disable the service? Are zones required or can I delete zones?
    What do I do with the bad entries on the zone of my subdomain's account? The SOA is wrong right off the bat.

I just need some schooling on how this works. Honestly when I set up the account for the subdomain, I don't even know where it pulled all these records from, I didn't create them! The zone for that subdomain account has a full set of A and cname records for mail, www, ftp, cpanel, whm, webmail, webdisk, as well as A and NS records. The NS and SOA records happen to point to the one domain that used to be registered as an NS but pointing to an old server. I don't even know how it got this info!
    I'm just confused, not sure what the function is of all the DNS options/settings/records that I see on WHM and what is safe to remove or delete or if it's even used, etc... on my dns.com settings, they create a default SOA record for any domain I hook up there, so who is the real SOA? Does WHM consider each account to be SOA?

Another one, when I click "Nameserver IPs" in WHM, it gives me a list of ns1.oneofmydomains and ns2.oneofmydomains. In fact I get 4 of my domains in this list, and two that are my hosting company (I have a dedicated server). These are confusing records because ns.myhostingcompany points to an IP that is not mine, I assume it's theirs, guess that's fine. Then their ns2.hostingcompany.com points to my own server's IP, hmm. But the ns1 and ns2 records of my own domains don't even have an IP, they say "No IP", but they have zones created under them. WHY! One of my domains is listed as ns1/ns2/mydomain.com, has 6 zones! This ns1/ns2 isn't even registered as a NS at my registrar, nor are the ns1/ns2 subdomains set up at my DNS server.
    I don't know how these Nameservers were set up. I don't know why they randomly have zones registered to them.
    If they don't even have an IP, does that render the zones under them useless?

Frankly I just don't know what the heck is going on with all these DNS/Nameserver/zone/ns1/ns2 records listed across WHM and whether they matter at all or if they can be removed to end the confusion. To top it all off, this morning I get this message in my Email:

Why did the nameserver fail? What is that, why is it running if my server isn't used as a name server?

Thanks for any guidance and clarity!