The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some nameserver help

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by erinspice, Jan 12, 2007.

1. erinspice

erinspice Well-Known Member

I've done this a million times, but I must have done something different this time. I'm setting up the nameservers on my 8th server, and its not working. When I use WHM's Nameserver IPs tool to try to assign IPs to my nameserver domains, it gives me the error "Sorry, the nameserver ns16.mydomain.com already has the ip 123.45.67.89 assigned to it." I added them directly to /etc/nameserverips and restarted bind, but that didn't work either. I've already got an A entry for the domain I'm using for the nameservers and I've already registered with with my registrar. I also already used WHM's Add an IP Address tool to bring up an ethernet device for each new IP. However, /sbin/ifconfig only shows my main IP and no other devices. When I try to ping the nameserver, I get "Host unreachable," but the main IP for the server works.

Edited to add:
    Show or Delete Current IP Addresses shows all my IPs.
    Show IP Address Usage only shows the main IP.
    Rebuild the IP Address Pool says 0 free IPs.
    Nameserver IPs lists correct nameservers because I added them to /etc/nameserverips but no eth device for either.

#1 erinspice, Jan 12, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  2. erinspice

I created the eth devices myself by doing:

/sbin/ifconfig eth0:0 1.1.1.1 up
    /sbin/ifconfig eth0:1 1.1.1.2 up

and now I can at least ping my nameservers.

But digging a domain using those nameservers still fails.

3. erinspice

Working now. I guess it just needed some time after creating the eth devices.