The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to copy only specific emails to another user

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by pjetson, Sep 7, 2011.

1. pjetson

pjetson Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi. I need to copy specific emails (using filters) to another user. I can't use Forwarding, since it doesn't have filters. And I'm not sure I can use Account or User level filtering, since they don't have a Forward option, only a Redirect option. My understanding of Redirection is that the original email is sent to another user instead of the original user. I want the original user to also get a copy of the email.

I notice, though, that you can have more than one action in Account or User level filtering.

So, my question boils down to what happens if I set up some filter rules to isolate the particular messages sent to user A, then set a "redirect to email" action to user B and another "redirect to email" rule to user A. And then set a third action to "stop processing rules".

Will this allow both users to receive a copy of the email, or will it start an endless loop generating zillions of emails?

Regards, Peter

#1 pjetson, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Since the cPanel > User Level Filtering redirection option allows you to have it redirect to multiple users within the same filter (you can use the + sign in Actions area), have you tried simply adding the filter with 2 redirects, one redirect to user A and one redirect to user B?

3. pjetson

pjetson Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Being able to put two recipients in the same filter is something I didn't know about, thanks.

However, what I also need to know is whether redirecting to the original recipient would create an endless loop, because it will have created a new email that would also match the same filter. Or, does email created by a filter not get run through the filters again?

Regards, Peter

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I doubt it would create an endless loop. Have you simply tried to test it? I would have to test it myself, which is exactly the same as you would be able to try on your side. Please let us know how it goes. If you run into any issues, simply removing the redirection should work.

5. pjetson

pjetson Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Well, if the whole internet explodes, we'll know who to blame, Tristan!

I'll try it out and post the results. That's if trying it doesn't crash the server and gets me banned, that is...

Thanks, Peter

6. pjetson

pjetson Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I'm happy to report that nothing bad happened - no endless loop, no crashing the internet, no web host accounts cancelled :). The original receipient received all of my test emails, and the extra recipient received copies of only those emails that matched the filter. All other emails to the original recipient continue to go just to him.

What I did was use the User Level Filtering section to set up a filter to isolate only the particular messages that I wanted to catch and copy. In my case, I needed to match on the From field AND the Subject field.

Then, I set up three actions - the first to redirect the email to where I needed to send a copy, the second to redirect the email to the original recipient, and the third to Stop Processing Rules. Now, it's quite likely that I didn't need to do all of that, but that's what I did and it works.

The answer to my original question is therefore that emails created by filters either do not go through the filters again, OR using the Stop Processing Rules action stops them from going through the filters again. Same end result for me.

Regards, Peter