The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to create reseller account on clean install (complete newbie)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by more-solutions, Feb 4, 2008.

1. more-solutions

more-solutions Registered

cPanel/WHM seems to be one of those products with too much documentation, I've been through loads of it over the weekend and I'm still stuck...

I have a server with cPanel/WHM (which I've never used) for a customer. I need to create him as a reseller on the server; at the moment he'll be the only user on that server but it will allow me to control what he can/can't do (in this case to remove some options he doesn't need, to simplify the interface). He'll completely manage the server himself except for higher level stuff where I'll support him.

What do I need to do to create him as a user, and give him standard hosting capabilities on the server (add domains, host websites, create FTP users, email accounts, etc)?

Once I get that done he and I can both learn this wonderful new world together, I just need to get this first step done so he can log in and get started.

2. yapluka

yapluka Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Create a new account and check the case "Give Reseller Privileges"
    Then go to Reseller Center >> Edit Privileges/Nameservers and grant the permissions you need for your customer.

That's it :)

3. more-solutions

Thanks! Should have known it would be really simple!

What can I get away with for "Domain"? The reseller will add his own domains so I don't understand what I need to add one for here.

(If it wasn't a live server I'd just play around and see what happened.)

4. yapluka

yapluka Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You can use whatever domain, subdomain or even a fake one, this doesn't matter.
    Your customer will then access his WHM through http://serverip/whm
    If you use a real domain (or subdomain) that actually points to this server, he would access his whm through http://domain.com/whm
    As a matter of fact, you can access your WHM or cPanel with any domain or subdomain that resolves to the server. What matters is the username and password.

5. more-solutions

Cool, thanks for your help, much appreciated.