Need to create reseller account on clean install (complete newbie)

more-solutions

Registered
Feb 1, 2008
cPanel/WHM seems to be one of those products with too much documentation, I've been through loads of it over the weekend and I'm still stuck...

I have a server with cPanel/WHM (which I've never used) for a customer. I need to create him as a reseller on the server; at the moment he'll be the only user on that server but it will allow me to control what he can/can't do (in this case to remove some options he doesn't need, to simplify the interface). He'll completely manage the server himself except for higher level stuff where I'll support him.

What do I need to do to create him as a user, and give him standard hosting capabilities on the server (add domains, host websites, create FTP users, email accounts, etc)?

Once I get that done he and I can both learn this wonderful new world together, I just need to get this first step done so he can log in and get started.

yapluka

Dec 24, 2003
France
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Create a new account and check the case "Give Reseller Privileges"
Then go to Reseller Center >> Edit Privileges/Nameservers and grant the permissions you need for your customer.

That's it :)

more-solutions

Registered
Feb 1, 2008
Create a new account and check the case "Give Reseller Privileges"
Then go to Reseller Center >> Edit Privileges/Nameservers and grant the permissions you need for your customer.
Thanks! Should have known it would be really simple!

What can I get away with for "Domain"? The reseller will add his own domains so I don't understand what I need to add one for here.

(If it wasn't a live server I'd just play around and see what happened.)

yapluka

Dec 24, 2003
France
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
You can use whatever domain, subdomain or even a fake one, this doesn't matter.
Your customer will then access his WHM through http://serverip/whm
If you use a real domain (or subdomain) that actually points to this server, he would access his whm through http://domain.com/whm
As a matter of fact, you can access your WHM or cPanel with any domain or subdomain that resolves to the server. What matters is the username and password.