The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to find a proper way of discarding all incoming mail

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by maysoft, Jun 9, 2007.

1. maysoft

maysoft Well-Known Member

I offer webhosting services without POP3/SMTP services, and only php mail() function is supposed to work for sending outbound emails. I would like to discard ALL emails coming to the server. However, I want to keep the ability to SEND emails from that server. So the server has to be able to accept connections (this is needed if remote host wants to ensure that e-mail address is valid by connecting to my server).

What is the correct way of doing this?

Thanks!

2. eNetHosts

eNetHosts Well-Known Member

use the :blackhole: in place of where email should be

3. eNetHosts

eNetHosts Well-Known Member

or :fail: instead

4. maysoft

maysoft Well-Known Member

Thanks for answering!

This is currently running with :fail: set up in "WHM->Tweak settings". But for some reason, when a user adds a domain into their account, it starts receiving all e-mail for that domain (all mail features are disabled in feature manager, so user cannot access that pages) filling up user's disk space... When I go to /etc/valiases to check that domain, there is no :fail: in the file but user's login (meaning that his account will catch all domain's e-mail).

That is why I am thinking of something more "global" than that. I already blocked IMAP/POP3/POP3-TLS ports and modified DNS templates so that they do not include MX records anymore, but I want to allow users to modify MX records, and in this case they will be able to add an MX record pointing to the server (accidentally or not).

So... Long story short, I am hoping that there is a very simple solution to discard all incoming mail by let's say adding something to exim config... :rolleyes:

5. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    in WHM tweak settings

set Default catch-all/default address behavior for new accounts. fail is usually the best choice if you are getting mail attacks.

to fail