The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to give owner ship back to account and not to root

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shanit, Jan 3, 2006.

1. shanit

shanit Well-Known Member

First let me say I have looked thru and I see lots of help options on how to chown however none seem to be working for me. so I'm going to start a new thread as I have seen some that I could have posted to were closed already and were old with complaint about it being dug up so I have started new.

I'm on a linux system with fedora core 4 as my os and cpanel/whm

I uploaded my files to my site using winscp cuase its so much faster than cute but now i cannot edit files, I know its cause I changed the ownership or whatever and I have tried

chown -R username:wwwd /home/wwwd

chown -R username:wwwd

chown -R username: *

nothing works I'm also in the home directory as well when tyring to do this

i have also used the help in ssh
    chown --help
    and I still cannot figure this out can someone please tell me what exactly to type

Thanks
    Shannon

#1 shanit, Jan 3, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2006
  2. RickG

RickG Well-Known Member

Hi Shannon:

I think the only thing wrong is that your syntax is off slightly.

Let's say you SSH'd into the directory and found a file that looked like this:

account1 account1 5753 Dec 25 07:49 index.html

and you needed that to be owned by account2

you would issue:

chown account2.account2 index.html

Note in the above the . vs a : per your example.

You can use wildcards in the file name and or the -R flag for entire directories.

Hope this helps -

3. shanit

shanit Well-Known Member

ok this is what i did below but I dont think it worked cause so many no such file or directory

/home/wwwd/public_html/billing$ cd/home
    -bash: line 34: cd/home: No such file or directory
    /home/wwwd/public_html/billing$ cd /home
    /home$ chown -R
    chown: too few arguments
    Try `chown --help' for more information.
    /home$ chown -R *
    chown: changing ownership of `auction/tmp/urchin/lib': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `auction/tmp/urchin/htdocs/report.cgi': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `auction/tmp/urchin/data/conf': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `auction/tmp/urchin/data/geodata': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `auction/tmp/urchin/bin/urchin.cgi': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `auction/tmp/urchin/bin/urchin': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `auction/tmp/urchin/etc/urchin.conf': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `auction/tmp/urchin/etc/session.conf': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `auction/tmp/urchin/util/uconf-import': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `auction/tmp/urchin/util/uconf-driver': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `babyhost/tmp/urchin/lib': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `babyhost/tmp/urchin/htdocs/report.cgi': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `babyhost/tmp/urchin/data/conf': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `babyhost/tmp/urchin/data/geodata': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `babyhost/tmp/urchin/bin/urchin.cgi': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `babyhost/tmp/urchin/bin/urchin': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `babyhost/tmp/urchin/etc/urchin.conf': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `babyhost/tmp/urchin/etc/session.conf': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `babyhost/tmp/urchin/util/uconf-import': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `babyhost/tmp/urchin/util/uconf-driver': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `badss/tmp/urchin/lib': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `badss/tmp/urchin/htdocs/report.cgi': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `badss/tmp/urchin/data/conf': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `badss/tmp/urchin/data/geodata': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `badss/tmp/urchin/bin/urchin.cgi': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `badss/tmp/urchin/bin/urchin': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `badss/tmp/urchin/etc/urchin.conf': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `badss/tmp/urchin/etc/session.conf': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `badss/tmp/urchin/util/uconf-import': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `badss/tmp/urchin/util/uconf-driver': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `blueskye/tmp/urchin/lib': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `blueskye/tmp/urchin/htdocs/report.cgi': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `blueskye/tmp/urchin/data/conf': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `wwwd/tmp/urchin/lib': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `wwwd/tmp/urchin/htdocs/report.cgi': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `wwwd/tmp/urchin/data/conf': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `wwwd/tmp/urchin/data/geodata': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `wwwd/tmp/urchin/bin/urchin.cgi': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `wwwd/tmp/urchin/bin/urchin': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `wwwd/tmp/urchin/etc/urchin.conf': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `wwwd/tmp/urchin/etc/session.conf': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `wwwd/tmp/urchin/util/uconf-import': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `wwwd/tmp/urchin/util/uconf-driver': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `xrated/tmp/urchin/lib': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `xrated/tmp/urchin/htdocs/report.cgi': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `xrated/tmp/urchin/data/conf': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `xrated/tmp/urchin/data/geodata': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `xrated/tmp/urchin/bin/urchin.cgi': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `xrated/tmp/urchin/bin/urchin': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `xrated/tmp/urchin/etc/urchin.conf': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `xrated/tmp/urchin/etc/session.conf': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `xrated/tmp/urchin/util/uconf-import': No such file or directory
    chown: changing ownership of `xrated/tmp/urchin/util/uconf-driver': No such file or directory

I'm guessin this didnt work

4. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

You really should have an admin do it for you. Based on what you've shown so far, you're going to make your server inoperable with your experimenting.

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Indeed.

BTW, . and : are interchangable with chown, so that wouldn't be the problem. To correctly set permissions you're much better off using:

/scripts/chownpublichtmls

6. Izzee

Izzee Well-Known Member

When using WinSCP and you use SFTP to upload files and directories and you are using root's password then the ownerships will always be root:root and there is no way of changing that behaviour.

To alter this behaviour and have more control over file uploads access the site using SCP using your root password, not SFTP.

Then all you need do is select a directory(s) or file(s) right click on them and change ownerships to user:user. Its very simple and effective and quick as you are already in WinSCP and have no need to shell in to change them.

:)

7. shanit

shanit Well-Known Member

Hi I went to the site in your signature and my partner ordered the server management thing Thanks for listing that there :) much appreciated cause I do not know ALOT lol and wont deny it but thats why I'm here. Is that your site?? Thanks again so much

shannon

8. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

Everyone has to start somewhere. :)

PWS is my business.
    Platinum Server Management is where we get our servers from.
    D/A Photography is my little side business, mostly a hobby.

9. shanit

shanit Well-Known Member

You know I was just coming back to say I see in testimonials your listed there :) giving a good word for them. I never even noticed the testimonials up there lol I just seen all the stuff the offer and was like WOW we need this. I am checking our your daphotography I can do that, you can sell that lol like the albums I just moved my sons site which is huge over a gig its his whole life lol he'll wanna kick my butt one day for it but hey lol what can i say anyways his site is made up of tons of those little albums like those not exactly but quite similiar. I have a baby photo contest site I will one day get running but i had one contest and offered the album like that as a online brag book :) for a prize anyways I prolly wrote to much lol but thats me lol and i feel like it he he he ..............

shannon
    ~~fruit cake~~