The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to import to SQL but no import option visible

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by wkdwich, Jun 25, 2005.

1. wkdwich

wkdwich Well-Known Member

I installed dewlinks via fantastico. I have a cgi links program running with a pipe delimited text file of over 2000 links. I'd like to just import/upload this puppy and have a populated links list in a blink

I went into the WHM as droot and into phpMyAdmin... and poke and prodded and can not see any import option.. am I missing something here??

I figure if I export the existing DB's I can see the format and move stuff around to make it right for dewlinks then import..

I see there is a handy command line tool to do this.. but having never worked with SQL before I'm not quite understanding this DUMP term .. whats different from that than export?

If I can use the command line call to import, can I use a csv file?? should it be saved as csv from Excel?? or should I work in MS Access??

thanks

2. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    go into phpmyadmin and select the database you want and then select the table and hit the sql tab and at the bottom of the sql window there is a option to import a text file and this will give you the options that your looking for

3. wkdwich

And there it is way down there in little tiny text :)

"Insert data from a textfile into table "

thanks so much!!

I suppose the proper way to do this is to export first and open that in excel so I can see whats needed.. any other suggestions??

#3 wkdwich, Jun 25, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2005
  4. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    thats the easiest way is in excel

5. wkdwich

Yeds it was.. it only took me about an hour to get the categories and links laid out properly and uploaded.. thanks for the info..