The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to migrate to dedicated server

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by cpanelbuddy, May 8, 2010.

1. cpanelbuddy

cpanelbuddy Member

Hello,

Due to resource requirement, I need to migrate from my VPS to a dedicated server. Am very familiar with *INUX (ie crons, resource checks, account creation, Apache/MySQL/PHP install and admins, etc). However, I have absolutely no idea how to setup the new server to do mail and DNS.

For example, currently I download my mails from my VPS server and can login via a web interface to check mail. If I install cPanel, would it help me to setup the mail part of the server so when people send me a mail it'd goto the new server and I can download from the new server using Outlook, or access it via a web interface when I'm on the road? Would it also handle DNS (don't know what is even required other than the need to update DNS servers around the world with my new IP). Thanks.

2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

Right, cPanel will do what you are looking for. You can download emails in Outlook and keep a copy on the server which you can access via Webmail (it offers 3 webmail clients Horde, Squirrel Mail and RoundCube) wherever you go.

DNS will also be installed and you don't have to do anything apart from updating your name server IPs to point to the new server IP.

Just an FYI, cPanel will install Apache/PHP/Mysql, Exim (mail server), DNS server, Ftp server everything by itself so you don't have to install them manually, just add the domain from WHM and all the entries will be created.

3. cpanelbuddy

cpanelbuddy Member

Nice. I've read somewhere that the update option with cPanel sometimes may have problems updating Apache/PHP/mySQL. Is this true? Have you ever come across issues using the auto update feature?

Was actually thinking of installing Zend Server. I'm not 100% sure but I thought the Zend Server also comes with Apache/PHP/mySQL so I don't have to manually install them. Last time I did it was a bit more work than thought (ie not as straight forward as installing Windows programs).

When you said "don't have to do anything apart from updating your name server IPs to point to the new server IP". You mean typing in the server's IP in the DNS part of the cPanel? Out of curiosity. How does cPanel make use of this information to propagate the DNS servers around the world?