The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to protect directory..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hex2015, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Hex2015

Hex2015 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi,

Hoping you could help me! When I first started out, I developed a website on client's hosting account which they brought themselves. Bad move. It's been a few years and now, because they have access to the root directories etc. via cPanel, they have asked a family member to jump in and start meddling with the directories. Looks like he is trying to design another website which will most likely leech off my code.

I absolutely don't want him accessing my code which I spent months, even years, working on! I tried password-protecting the folder in cPanel, but that doesn't stop anyone accessing it if they view it in cPanel's file manager. I need something which will stop direct access unless they have a password.. Or an alternative. Please!!

Thanks.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You can't prevent access to the files under a cPanel account if the user has the cPanel username/password. You will need to consult with the user and determine how to address the issue.

Thank you.