The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to re-os machine to 64 bit..

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by fizz, Oct 17, 2010.

1. fizz

fizz Well-Known Member

Whats the best way to go about this so that it minimizes downtime? make sure cpanel has full backup, put it on a external drive or ftp. then rstore after server installed, and updated and cpanel fully updated?

2. Eric

Eric Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Take this for what you will, it's my opinion on how I would do this if I had the same to do.

I would backup everything using cpbackup's to a second drive, even if it's USB. Make some key system file backups just for good measure. Example directories I would backup:

/etc
    /var/named
    /var/lib/mysql
    /root :)
    /var if you can spare the space
    /usr if you can really spare the space

or better see if you can arrange it with your DC/provider slave the drive for a time, just in case.

Re-image, re-install, re-configure, start restores.

I would start restores in order of their size and importance. You can get a lot of small customers backup quickly, but the bigger accounts may take some time to decompress and such so save those for later, unless they pay the bills.

Good luck with your reinstall!

3. fizz

fizz Well-Known Member

awesome, thanks for the info. Im finishing install of cPanel base now. Im about to do the restore, but my question is where do i put the restore.. I have the /monthly folder with subfolders (dirs/files/ and the user backups), do i move monthly to home, or the contents of it to /home?