The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need your help(hacked)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rashad, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Rashad

Rashad Member

Hi all

I have been hacked I think from one of clients script, I have many Clients in my VPS.

That hacker changed all the index files for my client's sites.

So I do not know how he did it, and how to close that hack.

I need your help guys

2. Xylitol

Xylitol Member

First of all you might want to check if you're running php as cgi and suphp is activated. This prevents php-scripts from accessing other clients home-directories. If this is activated, the hacker has got his fingers in your server and I suggest a fresh start. After fresh start just bring back the backups and search for the hacked script, check especially http logs.

3. rpmws

rpmws Well-Known Member

i would suggest spending as much time as possible watching EVERYTHING going on in that server ..figure out who or what worm or hacker did it and HOW they got in. disable anything you find that may be running like irc bots. So many people rebuild to a new OS and forget how the hacker got in to the server the first time, only to wind up with a hacked server again 10 minutes after rebuild. So my advise would be to investigate and understand what went wrong first or it's likely to happen again.