The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Needing rackable systems help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lyttek, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

Off the wall here...

Picked up a handful of rackable systems 1U servers with Phantom ILOM built in. It has a serial port for connection which uses an RJ-45 like 8 pin connector.

I've hunted all over trying to find the pinout for a DB9-RJ45 for this thing.

Rackable support was quite pissy. After asking for and receiving the serial number of the system, they basically said we don't offer third-party support without a contract, which is fine, but A) their terse responses rubbed me the wrong way, B) they didn't even offer to sell a support contract, and C) how effing hard is it to put a @^%! PDF file on a website?!?

So now I'm on a mission to make this stupid thing work and post the results.

What do I really want to do? I want to change what's showing up on the LCD screen of these 1U servers. :mad: :confused:

2. Scrotorr

Scrotorr Registered

I know how to change the readout on the LCD panel, but I'd love to know how to do everything else that Phantom is supposed to be able to do (power on/off, etc) - or even know everything Phantom can do....

Rackable LCDs show up as a serial port in linux... so if you echo a line to it you'll show that on the display...

/bin/echo -e "LCD:\nNode 1. Don't reboot me." > /dev/ttyS1

it will show on the display as

Node 1. Don't reboot me.

Now please, help me with the rest of the features...

Thanks!

Isaac

3. mmon77

mmon77 Registered