The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

negative bandwidth?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by timdorr, Dec 27, 2003.

  1. timdorr

    timdorr Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2002
    Messages:
    93
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA
    I've just started doing a server transfer and a few of the domains I've transferred are showing negative bandwidth usage under WHM. These domains were transferred using the CPanel transfer tool.

    I've taken a quick look through /var/cpanel/bandwidth/ and nothing in the rrd files or logs looks out of whack. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and how to fix it?
     
  2. timdorr

    timdorr Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2002
    Messages:
    93
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA
    I've at least noticed one common thread in this so far: All the accounts with the negative bandwidth are top-level domains to subdomains with separate accounts. During the transfer, there were a few accounts that users had created in WHM for subdomains so that they could share bandwidth with people and give them a subdomain on their account. During the move of a top-level, it would create the subdomains as subdomains on the top-level account. I'd have to remove the subdomain from httpd.conf before I could transfer the separate account for the subdomain. Maybe this will shed some light...
     
  3. jough

    jough Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2003
    Messages:
    63
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Location:
    Philadelphia, PA
    I've noticed negative bandwidth on new domains with new subdomains, but they tend to work themselves out by the second month.

    The overall bandwith reported is still correct - it looks like a bug/revealing mistake that mis-calculates the bandwidth each domain uses and therefore calculates a negative number incorrectly.

    It's disconcerting but it's nothing to worry about.

    The bandmin doesn't track *all* of a system's bandwidth anyway - so you'd have to check with your provider (or lease a managed switch) to get truly accurate bandwidth usage.
     
Loading...

Share This Page