The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Negative Press Release - cPanel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vinayak, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Vinayak

Vinayak Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yeah, it's a bit wrong anyway. They are referring to callouts. The callouts are what cause problems with receiving some email. If you disable sender callouts, that goes away. "verify existence of senders" works just fine.

An example of a problem where sender callouts fails was first found out by me after I upgraded to CP 11 and opened a ticket with Cpanel (which I then did not receive a particular response on). It turned out that the FROM address was something@some_subdomain.cpanel.net. That subdomain did not exist for reception of email, or at least it probably did not have an MX, or something to that extent, and the callout failed.

But I have never seen "verify existence of sender" to be problematic.

Mike

3. Vinayak

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Now, why I think its negative marketing:

Firstly they are misleading people by saying it was implemented in the cPanel 11 stable release, whereas both "callouts to verify the existence of email senders & Verify the existence of email senders" existed in cPanel 10.

Secondly by saying "The majority of Web hosts running cPanel have not disabled the feature" they mean this feature is some gross mistake at cPanel's end, and to disable the same it needs some high level of skills to accomplish the job which majority of hosts can't do.

See that press release from the point of view of an end user, what an average user will make out of it.

4. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I think you have to understand what sender verification/sender callouts really are in order to understand this.

I have been a big proponent of sender callouts. I think it really reduces the amount of spam that an address will receive.

Basically it comes down to, if the e-mail address that a message says it is from is not able to accept e-mail, then to me this is a tell-tale sign that the message itself is a spam message.

Think about. If you have any hosting accounts that use their default address, you've probably seen instances where that account has received a ton of mail delivery failure messages at their default address. This is what happens when a spammer gets a hold of a domain name and then starts sending out a ton of spam messages using various bogus addresses at that domain name. This will result in all of those undeliverable messages bouncing back to that domain's default address.

Now consider that if that domain had their default address set to :fail: and assume for a moment that all of the mail servers all over the world were doing sender callouts. The moment that a spammer a tried to send out a spam message from a bogus e-mail address at your domain, the sender callout would fail and the message would not be sent.

Yes, there are legitimate companies that send out legitimate messages from bogus e-mail addresses. I believe there is a thread on these forums that discusses this. I know that Yahoo Groups is one example. The envelope-sender that they use to send out a message does not accept messages back. This is unfortunate. This is also Yahoo's problem, in my opinion. At some point you have to make a choice. Say 90% of all messages that come from an invalid envelope-sender (failing a sender callout) are spam, then why should you accept any messages that fail a sender callout? Where do you draw that line? 90%? 95%? 99%? 100%?

All that being said, I have spent the past month or so reviewing policies and I may be changing our policies regarding sender callouts with our webhosting services. This doesn't change my viewpoint. I still believe sender callouts are a good thing and that if a legitimate message is failing a sender callout, then its the sender that should be changing their practices. However, there's just not enough support throughout the community to force larger corporations, such as Yahoo, to change and abide by this.

Further, the investigation that I found never said that a message has to be sent from a valid envelope-sender. It makes sense to me that it should and I think that if enough people understood the concept they would agree too. But that is just not the case. This makes it difficult to point the finger at Yahoo when a message from Yahoo Group does not reach our server due to sender callout failure. If there was a standard or an accept rule that said an envelope-sender must be valid, then I would be well within my right as a server administrator to deny that message. Instead I am forcing my belief and opinion on the users of that server.

In short, I don't agree with this article, but it does have some merit. I think the message should also state that these legitimate messages that are failing are failing because the sender is refusing to use a valid envelope-sender.

5. Vinayak

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    sparek-3 what you have stated is something very common and most of us are aware of.

But instead of promoting sender verification/sender callouts they are condemning it and that too with a Press Release / News Letter.

6. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I'm unsure why un-checking a box and pressing the save button warrants some type of press release. We've always has the option to turn it on/off. There are benefits both ways of course. However that is up to the host to decide as it always has been.

7. ramprage

ramprage Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about it Nick. those guys still have some of my stolen articles from webhostgear on their site after repeatedly asknig them to remove it.

They just want an excuse to get their name in the news, so posting useless news may do that for them, whether its valid or not.