The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Network Failover

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nickp666, Nov 9, 2005.

1. nickp666

nickp666 Well-Known Member

This is more a linux question than cpanel although cpanel will probably come into it, currently I have a cpanel server running centos 4.2.

It has 2 network cards, is it possible to have the second NIC responding on the same IP addresses as the first by means of failover? I dont need to balance the incoming traffic across the 2 cards, 1 is adequate enough.

obviously with the NIC's set with the same IP's the logs show unable to bind to address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx but is there a way of determining the state of the primary card and activating the second if/when there is a problem?

My line of thinking is this isnt possible but I could well be wrong.

How would Cpanel behave if say the primary network card fails and the secondary NIC takes over on different IP's? i assume it would complain of licensing issues and not work?

any help on this would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think it would be a problem and should be possible with a bit of scripting or if a tool already exists.

I would think an outbound ping test against reliable servers could be used to determine if the card is being used, then use /scripts/ipaliases stop and ifdown to shutdown that card, then use ifup to start the other card and then run /scripts/ipaliases start and your remaining IP addresses should rebind to the other card. cPanel shouldn't really care, though you should probably update /etc/wwwacct to show the correct NIC if you change them.

Only thorough testing on a test server would really prove it.

3. nickp666

nickp666 Well-Known Member