The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Never done this before How do I set up mail in whm/cpannel

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by mymoney26, Apr 4, 2011.

1. mymoney26

mymoney26 Member

I have looked in wham and there is a place to set up domain names and email...Cpanel has does not seem to have any place to set up mail.

Do I set up the email in WHM under the domain?
    Is there a place in cpanel to set up email?

Then I need to know how to point my domain name to my vps so the mai will work?

Please assist

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Have you created the cPanel account in WHM > Create a New Account area? If you have, then log into the account using WHM > List Accounts and clicking the cPanel icon there, then you can setup the email accounts in cPanel itself. WHM is the administrative interface rather than the account user interface. You'd want to log into cPanel directly to manage account level functions.

As for pointing your domain name to your VPS, have you setup private nameservers for the domain so that you have working nameservers? If not, you first need to register the private nameservers (typically ns1.maindomain.com and ns2.maindomain.com) at your domain registrar, then add those nameservers into WHM > Basic cPanel & WHM Setup area at the bottom, then change the domain to use those nameservers at your domain registrar. The IP for the nameservers would be your main IP on the machine for the ns1.maindomain.com nameserver and any additional IP you have for the ns2.maindomain.com nameserver. If you only have 1 IP on the machine, use the same IP for both nameservers.

3. mymoney26

mymoney26 Member

The first part went well. But as to pointing the domain. I changed it at the registar however I can't find where to enter it in WHM/Cpanel Should it go in the DNS functions under:

Add a DNS Zone
    Add an A Entry for your Hostname
    Delete a DNS Zone
    Edit DNS Zone
    Edit MX Entry
    Edit Zone Templates
    Nameserver IPs
    Park a Domain
    Perform a DNS Cleanup
    Reset a DNS Zone
    Setup/Edit Domain Forwarding
    Synchronize DNS Records

Oh I think it is under configure server...Is that correct:

4. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The option for Basic cPanel & WHM Setup is in Server Configuration area for setting the nameservers for the machine. You would also want to click "Add an A entry for this nameserver" and set the IP there in that section for each nameserver.

5. mymoney26

mymoney26 Member

I got that figured out. Now. the server name and pointing right now is botdomination.com/ I also have a domain on the same server called automation-bots.com Do I point it from the registar

6. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you have the nameservers now setup, you should be able to change the nameservers for the domain(s) at your registrar to point to those new nameservers.