The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 2 FTP Want to allow someone to upload files

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by skyesat, Mar 9, 2005.

1. skyesat

skyesat Registered

I have read the faq and cpanel user guide. Also I have viewed the multimedia directions. I have a friend that I want to share files with from my website. I see FTP I see ftp://domainname.com on internet explorer. I don't know how to or what to do to allow this. I wish I could be more specific. Is there somewhere a newbe can find out what to do?
    Thanks lot's
    Rich

2. germanette

germanette Active Member

In Site Management of CPanel, click on FTP Manager. Here you can create an FTP user with a username and password, and give them access to upload to a specific directory. When they call that directory in their browser using ftp://yoursite.com/uploadfolder, it will prompt them for their username and password. If you have anonymous login turned off, it may show an error, right-click in the window and choose 'Login As' from the menu.

3. skyesat

skyesat Registered

I am still having trouble. I have went to sub domains and created a sub domain. "downloads.mysite.com" Then went to the FTP and created a new ftp access. Used "domain" as user name and then "********" password. Now when I go to ftp://downloads.mysite.com and try to log in using the created ftp username and password it dosent log in. What did I do wrong? I tried going to ftp://mysite.com/uploadfolder and there isn't one. Sorry I am really new at this.
    Thanks for your help.

4. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Firstly, Internet Explorer is not an FTP client and I recommend not using it as such. Depending on even which version of IE you are using you will have issues.

If wanting to use FTP to share files use a proper ftp program like CuteFTP http://www.globalscape.com/cuteftp

5. germanette

germanette Active Member

Regardless of what program you use, the username/password that you created must have access to the subdomain you created. Check in FTP Manager to be sure you have granted access to your new subdomain to the new user you created. Also be sure to enter the username exactly as it appears in the FTP Manager screen.

For example, I have a subdomain at http://subdomain.maindomain.com, in the FTP Manager screen, the FTP username is subdomain@maindomain.com. In FTP Manager, it tells me that user subdomain@maindomain.com has access to the /subdomain folder, but I cannot login by calling ftp://maindomain.com/subdomain. In order to access it thru FTP, I have to call ftp://subdomain.maindomain.com and login with subdomain@maindomain.com as the username.

6. skyesat

skyesat Registered

Thankyou very much. With all your help I was able to configure this. I found a copy of wsftp pro and it is working like a charm. I really appreciate the feedback.
    Signed
    Another happy person!.
    :)