The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New account email not working..

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by SHSaeed, Aug 16, 2002.

1. SHSaeed

SHSaeed Well-Known Member

Whenever we (or a reseller) creates a new account an email is sent to us. Lately though, half the time the email doesn't get here. Here's the error message we get..

[b:aed9983ba3]This message was created automatically by mail delivery software (Exim).

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
    recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

info@ourdomain.com
    (ultimately generated from support@ourdomain.com)
    unknown local-part &info& in domain &ourdomain.com&[/b:aed9983ba3]

I've tried sending normal emails and email from PHP to the account and it works just fine. It's only the new account email that doesn't get delivered half the time. Anyone have any idea what the reason/solution is or anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks.

2. SHSaeed

3. Annette

Annette Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

What is the contact email address in WHM, support@ or info@? Based on just this snip, it looks like you might have a forwarder set up for one or the other, is that the case? Is the undeliverable mail generated from the same server, or from another server in the chain, or both? What does your valias file look like for the domain in question? More info = better chance of someone having an idea about the problem and resolution.

4. SHSaeed

Both are actually POP3 accounts and are on the same server as where the accounts are created. There is nothing related to these in the valias file for the domain. This was working just fine a couple of weeks ago. No changes made to the domain. I think it was after the IMAP addition that this started to happen. You know what.. Now that I'm thinking about it, I might know what's wrong.. I have the /scripts/wwwacct chattr +i so CPanel update doesn't overwrite it. It probably needs an update.. I'll do an update and let you know about the result.

5. SHSaeed

Still same problem.. I noticed another thing.. account creation emails don't get delivered, but account termination emails get delivered just fine..

6. Annette

PartnerNOC

That's pretty odd. By this:

info@ourdomain.com
    (ultimately generated from support@ourdomain.com)
    unknown local-part &info& in domain &ourdomain.com&

it looked like something was forwarding somewhere but the aliasing might not be correct, or perhaps there was a piping/.forward that was interfering with delivery. Ideally, you would not expect that the error notice would be generated referencing another user within the same domain if they're both POPs and without any other...imperial entanglements. :)

If you create an account and watch the mail log roll, does anything seem out of the ordinary when root tries to email you an account creation email? No filters/sorting/.forwards/procmail setup to catch anything on the subject (new account on...)? If you set your WHM contact email to a different POP, do you have the same problem?

7. SHSaeed

Tried different domain name and it's the same thing.. Account termination email gets there but account creation email does not.

8. Annette

PartnerNOC

We have had this same issue reported by one of our dedicated clients. In his case, the failure of the creation mail to be delivered was temporary, as an account was created shortly after two failures and the creation email was delivered without problems. The logs show the same error (unknown local-part) for his contact address, although it a standalone POP box that has been working fine. The box is currently at build 60 - can you confirm your build as well? I'm trying to recreate this on a couple of our machines to see if I can duplicate it. If so, a bug report is certainly in order.

9. SHSaeed

Annette,

Thank you for replying. The build is always the latest, currently being 60. I've emailed support twice about another issue that I couldn't find answer/help for here and they have yet to answer (it's been about a week now). So basically, I don't have much faith in receiving any help from the support.

10. Annette

PartnerNOC

Thus far I'm not able to reproduce it on any of a selection of our own machines, although I suppose a cursory audit is in order to see if there have been additions where the failure was not noticed. I can be a bit of a bloodhound about stuff like this, so my search continues. I'll let you know if I find anything.