Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

New account set up > Apache crash

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by vashti, Aug 25, 2003.

1. vashti

vashti Member

Hi all.

Have searched the Forums and tried many things - all no luck. When I add a new account via WHM > create account, the account is set up fine.

However Apache crashes and I am sent email thus:

This is a brand new install of Cpanel, all I have done is used easyapache to add in a few services:

sablot, gdlib, xslt

This upgrade appeared to work without problems...

Looking in the error log gives this warning message:

If I run a netstat -anp | grep 80 I get:

When I receive the "automagly restart" email, I can go along and check out the server, and Apache is running. But if I set up an account and then immediately go to "service status" it shows Apache as "failed"...

And now I am stuck. Anyone help out to stop Apache from crashing.

Many thanks in advance.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. ciphervendor

ciphervendor Well-Known Member

This looks like your culprit:

[Mon Aug 25 14:38:40 2003] [crit] (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to port 80
    [Mon Aug 25 14:38:40 2003] [crit] (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to port 80

Left over apache processes and a new instance of apache couldn't be executed. If this happens again, simply killall -9 httpd and service httpd restart.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. vashti

vashti Member

Ciphervendor, many thanks. It's not a major problem as the system always reboots itself so when I actually check it, it is always up and running.

What I have done to try to ascertain the problem is:

I have rebuilt Apache now, and taken out some things eg sablot, ming and so on. Now when I receive the "automagically restart" email I get (in the error_log):

If I run a netstat -anp | grep 443

I get:

Which is:

Does this look right ? I am unsure.

#################################

I have noticed many other people getting the exact same error message as above, but have not been able to find a solution anywhere...

Many thanks for replying :)