The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New and need help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by robertbaugh, Jan 9, 2012.

1. robertbaugh

robertbaugh Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Please forgive me if this question/solution is really basic, but I need help.

I am trying to set-up an account that uses a shared IP address to host websites on. I created the Resellers acount and created a new account for the domain, the domain is pointing to my name serves, and I have uploaded a test HTML page, named index.htm, in the public_htlm folder.

Now with all that done, I still get the Default Web Site Page for the domain. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

#1 robertbaugh, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  2. linux7802

linux7802 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Make sure that your domain is resolving to the correct ip address and you are having the correct ips in the all the configuration file.

For example your server main shared ip is 192.68.0.1 then make sure that domain for example test.com is resolving to ip 192.168.0.1 and open the following files and check the ip assigned to your domain test.com is correct or not

/var/named/test.com.db
    /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
    /var/cpanel/userdata/test/test.com
    /var/cpanel/users/test

Note In above example we have used domain test.com and cPanel user name test, you can use your own actual domain name and cPanel user name.

3. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The Apache default page always means that a domain resolves to a certain IP address, and the server receives a request for that domain over that IP address, but Apache does not have that domain configured on that IP address in its configuration. You have a mismatch somewhere.

What you need to do is check to see what IP address you have the account configured on in the WebHost Manager, and then see to what IP address the domain resolves. You can use the host command on either *nix or Windows to do this. The syntax is:

Code:
    # host domain.tld
    Replace "domain.tld" with the actual domain name in question. This will give you the IP address to which the domain resolves. This IP address needs to be the same as the one on which the account is configured in the WebHost Manager.

A possible pitfall is if your server is using NAT and has internal IP addresses (starting in 192 or 10). In this case, the account needs to be configured on the internal IP address, not the external one, in the WHM, but the DNS zone needs to have A records pointing to the external IP address. cPanel has no "awareness" of NAT and we do not support NAT because of this complication, but I wanted to mention it as a possible cause of your problem.