The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New and needing help!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fishcake, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Fishcake

Fishcake Registered

Sep 28, 2010
    Hi ive installed cpanel to my linux server.

Im confused over a few points.

When setting the hostname, should i set it to the domain i own? or a sub domian?

and the other confusing thing is were do i put my site? i can view the default page, but can i put my whole site there or is it better to have it hosted as a "customer" on the install??!

Hope you can help me out

2. GaryT

GaryT Well-Known Member

May 19, 2010
    your hostname can be anything, Aslong as you keep your DNS name in this,

example if your website was, you can put your hostname to anything like:

Login to WHM / And create an account, Once created with the options your require, you then upload via FTP to that account you made and all content you want visible must be uploaded into the public_html/ folder
  3. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Houston, TX
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

The usual practice is to pick a hostname that is based on the main domain name you will use for your hosting site, or the site you use for your main business. It can cause less confusion to pick a hostname that is not a subdomain that you intend to host.

A common practice is to use "server." or "host." followed by the domain name, but you can be creative and pick a unique hostname. Most administrators who oversee several servers pick a naming scheme for their servers' hostnames. For example, I have used the names of types of birds for servers I run.

Also, do not try to use "www" as part of the hostname. It will cause issues. Use "" or "" or a unique name that you select instead of "server" or "host"; it is totally up to you, as long is it is in this format.

While you can upload site content to the default virtual host (/usr/local/apache/htdocs), this is considered custom in the cPanel scheme, and I do not recommend it. Instead, create a cPanel account in the WebHost Manager, and upload your content to the cPanel account via FTP or scp.

If you have not done so already, I recommend that you review our documentation, specifically the following sections:

WHM User Guide
    Account Functions
    Create a New Account
    cPanel User Guide