The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New backup system - and FTP remote destination

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by nsdesign2, Jun 2, 2014.

1. nsdesign2

nsdesign2 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm using the new (not the legacy) backup system on all our CPanel servers...
    We're going to run the "remote destination" feature, allowing us to copy backups to a remote FTP drive.

Question.. how does retention work on the remote FTP location?

EG: if I have the backup set to run 1 weekly, and 1 monthly backup (retaining one of each) on the local server... (in the /backup 2nd HD), then on loical, I'll only ever have TWO backups to restore. That's fine.. But what about the remote FTP? Will it also have 2 backups copied to it? Will it follow my "retention rules" (deleting older backups etc).

If I JUST wanted my remote FTP location to have just ONE latest backup copy (while keeping a weekly AND monthly on the local server), is this possible?

Appreciate the detail on this so I know how much space we need to allocate to the remote FTP drive!

Gary

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Yes.

No.

When it comes to backups, you can never have too many. Leave yourself lots of space and take some Daily backups too.