The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Backup System creates all backup files first

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by BlueSteam, Jun 1, 2014.

1. BlueSteam

BlueSteam Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2013
    cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Please understand, my rant below is due to numerous times now over the past few months having to do this manually due to a badly flawed backup process designed by cPanel.

Root Cause:
    New Backup System creates all backup files first and then transfers the files to remote destination.

This causes the disk space on the servers to fill up and the rest of the backups fail to create.

My server is 60GB utilised of a total of 80GB and the backups are a total of 30GB. During backup creation, all files are consuming 30GB causing a requirement of 90GB in total but I only have 80GB causing the disk usage to be exceeded during the backup process and certain backups fail to generate and transfer.

Solution: Transfer the files as and when the backup is complete!

This has been discussed in this thread:
    and a feature requested here: Immediate Transfer of Remote Backup Archives | cPanel Feature Requests

But this should be prioritized ASAP because I am tired of having to spend 2 hours every week intervening because this process is so badly flawed.

I realize that some of use are aware of this problem but EVERY week like today I have to manually backup the accounts that did not get generated and this is ridiculous! I'm so upset right now because I have spent 2 hours backing up accounts that did not generate and transfer! I should not have to manually do this. This is meant to be an automated process. I have have to now spend MORE money on a LARGER server just so that my backups can get completed and sent without human intervention.

PLEASE cPanel, realise that this is a HUGE problem and the voting system for this feature should be scrapped and it should be implemented as DEFAULT!

Please forgive my anger but I feel it is justified!
  2. cPanelPeter

cPanelPeter Technical Analyst III
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2013
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Thank you for your feedback. I do understand the issue. Please note however that it has always been recommended to have double the backup space available for your hard drive. If you have an 80G drive and 60G used, you should have 160G available for storing backups. 30G won't cut it.

Having another drive installed will be your best bet at this time.