Infopro

May 20, 2003
Pennsylvania
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter
and simple option for client to download system backup is somehow forgotten...
2.7 GB account size. Backed up in a few short minutes from within cPanel. Return to Download backups page to find:
Backups Available for Download:
backup-6.13.2013_12-36-45_username.tar.gz

Clickable and ready for download. So, downloading a Full Account Backup is very much still possible.

I believe the new system is far nicer than the old, with additional improvements on the way.

The good news is, you don't have to use it. Stay on Legacy for a while longer. ;)

dexus

Jan 14, 2006
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
2.7 GB account size. Backed up in a few short minutes from within cPanel. Return to Download backups page to find:
Backups Available for Download:
backup-6.13.2013_12-36-45_username.tar.gz

Clickable and ready for download. So, downloading a Full Account Backup is very much still possible.
You don't understand the point... Client should be able to download older backup if needed, not only to generate the new one.

As I already said cPanel backup system is great for server with few accounts, so you will get a great results and performance on server with few accounts and on your test server, but not in production shared hosting server.

I believe the new system is far nicer than the old, with additional improvements on the way.
Nicer yes, but improvement, unfortunatelly not much.

The good news is, you don't have to use it. Stay on Legacy for a while longer. ;)
That is the worst part... After 5 years of waiting for new backup system we still have the old system with nice UI. :)

bsich

Mar 18, 2009
I used the weekly backup as an emergency and the daily backup for a almost current restore. I had to only store 2 backups. The new backup only has daily and monthly backups. To achieve the same effect as a weekly backup I need to keep 7 copies of the backup.

Lor

Apr 29, 2005
It's would be extremely helpful to add option to restore selected files from backup like in other backup software where used incremental backup.

Second problem - it's too complicated to setup backup time in the new system.

Last edited:

dexus

Jan 14, 2006
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
It's would be extremely helpful to add option to restore selected files from backup like in other backup software where used incremental backup.
Yes, restore should be more granular, and of course it should also allow client to auto restore some files or folders from backup to original location or to some alternate location. Client should be able to pick an option and a destination if alternate location is selected.

And please add weekly backup option for incremental backups, also with a day to pick for weekly backups. Incremental backups should be much more improved, and instead it got worse now. It should maybe also have an option to keep two monthly backups. Why only one with incremental backups?

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
I used the weekly backup as an emergency and the daily backup for a almost current restore. I had to only store 2 backups. The new backup only has daily and monthly backups. To achieve the same effect as a weekly backup I need to keep 7 copies of the backup.
There is an active feature request for weekly backups at:

Add Weekly Backups to new Backup System

Feel free to add your input and vote for that feature request.

Thank you.

tvcnet

PartnerNOC
Aug 15, 2003
San Diego
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Just so I'm clear.
Under the new system, if I have one account, 1gb i size, and I want to use the new system to manage back 30 days, are 30gb's required?

Or does the new system manage backups in a more "intelligent" fashion by saving only incremental daily changes for 30 days, such that the "actual" base unchanged backup is saved, plus incremental backups for those 30 days, intelligently serving the most current backup to client upon request?

dexus

Jan 14, 2006
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
It will take 30 GB. There is nothing "intelligent" with new backup system. It's just the same old backup system with new UI and new bugs, and some things actually missing from the old backup system...

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Yes, 30G of free space is be required if you choose to retain 30 backups of a 1G account. Incremental backups can be enabled, but this option allows only one backup.

Thank you.

NovemberRain

Sep 24, 2003
İstanbul
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I think we should be able to define different settings for local and remote backups. I want to retain more backups for local because I have lots of empty space but my remote backup space is limited and I want to retain only 2 backups for remote.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
I think we should be able to define different settings for local and remote backups. I want to retain more backups for local because I have lots of empty space but my remote backup space is limited and I want to retain only 2 backups for remote.
It's a good idea to open a feature request or add comments to existing feature requests if you would like to see a change made. The feature request system can be found at:

cPanel - Feature Requests

Thank you.

wshyang

Registered
May 7, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Just to clarify, are the backup files generated by the two backup systems compatible?

If not, is there a new version of pkgacct that we should be aware of?

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Just to clarify, are the backup files generated by the two backup systems compatible?

If not, is there a new version of pkgacct that we should be aware of?
Could you elaborate on what you mean by compatible? You can still utilize /scripts/pkgacct to backup an account manually and restore it.

Thank you.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Ca I take backup after stop HTTPD and mysql because it make server to high.
Apache does not have to run, but MySQL must be started if you want to backup your databases. It's likely a better idea to address the load issues before attempting a backup, or upgrade your server hardware if necessary.

Thank you.