The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New bandwidth with rrd's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cristi4n, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Cristi4n

Cristi4n Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

"n cPanel 11.25 we have made a few feature improvements to the bandwidth tracking system built into WHM and cPanel. While these new features grants you a much more accurate and granular view of client bandwidth usage, customers with inadequately sized /var partitions may run into issues related to partition size and disk space consumption."

This was a really bad joke from cPanel, I have no idea what has got into you guys.

How can you roll out something that is known to cause issues ?

IF it's known to cause issues then why was it so hard to create a 3 line stupid code to check to see if me, an idiot, has available space in /var ?

WHY do I have to wake up with multiple servers down because you decided to roll out some changes that may cause issues ??

"This will only effect customers with large numbers of domains and a relatively small /var/ partition, i.e., 8-10G. In these situations, the /var/ partition may become full."

My /var partition is 20GB. This does not matter, you can't write this to people because some of them (sounds stupid but it's true) will think that if they have a 40GB partition they are not affected by this. But who am I to tell you what to do.

Well, thanks a lot for this.

2. wizzy420

wizzy420 Well-Known Member

When I read this my thought was - what do you man by "large numbers of domains"?

10 domains? 200 domains? 5000 domains?

I have no idea what a "large number of domains" is.

3. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

When did a 8-10 gig /var partition suddenly become "inadequate" ?

Seems like Cpanel screwed up on this and now we web hosts are to blame for not making 25 gig /var's ?

:confused:

4. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Fortunately, the workaround seems simple enough (assuming you have a lot of free directory space in /home, like I do on all my boxes):

And cPanel is offering to do the fix for you (if you really can't do this on your own):

My question is... I'm still on 11.24 Stable. When should I execute this fix? Now, or do I have to wait until 11.25 Stable is pushed out?

- Scott

5. bvierra

bvierra Well-Known Member

I would assume that people would actually check changelogs etc before updating a server. Also I haven't had a server setup with less than 40GB /var for many years now... any that were setup would have been upgraded and decommissioned by now.

Also I would think you would have something setup to check partition space and email you if it was below a certain threshold.

6. Cristi4n

Cristi4n Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

The 40 GB partition doesn't matter , as I stated before you can end up with a 40GB partition full too.
    Also, cPanel has a check for partition space, but guess what, with var full there was no way to send me that e-mail. And var was filled pretty quick since they only created some stupid files.

Also, if you have time to check each changelog , every day for cPanel then suit yourself. Try not to defend cPanel on this one, they screwed it up.

Strange thing now with the new bandwidth thing, apache is doing a restart for each client now when checking bandwidth logs.
    I now have more than 500 apache restarts one after the other and I can't even tell him to do this stupid thing at night.

Great thinking guys, thanks a lot for everything.