The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New change log is too confusing!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by damainman, Mar 20, 2004.

1. damainman

damainman Well-Known Member

The new changelog sucks. Its all jumbled.. i mean sometimes old updates are above new updates, and things are mixed.. i actually have to go number hunting to actually see which release is the latest. Aside from that when the changelog is updated... the layer1 page doesn't show its been updated.. so to actually see if theres any updates i need to view the changelog, and search for the latest release...

Is Cpanel working on this problem?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It works fine for me. All you have to do is click on the link at the top of the ChangeLog page relevant to your platform, then the versions list correctly.

Remember, it is a new system and they're bound to have the odd teething problem. No point in berating them for it.

3. damainman

damainman Well-Known Member

i know its new, but i was just letting them know incase they weren't aware of the problem ;)

But i've tried clicking on the links on the top relevant to my platform, but a new release is always showed between two old releases, instead of being on the top where its suppose to be.

4. SageBrian

SageBrian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't like the references to Bugzilla. This is not very informative:

Does this mean we have to first see what the upgrades IDs are, and then go to Bugzilla to see what was fixed?

I like the direction of the new log, but as far as information, the old one at least told us what was done. Even if you had to scroll past 2002 info. :)

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I have to agree. The new concept is good, but the implementation is not.

I would like to see either a description of the fix, or a URL to the bugzilla issue that it fixes. Right now it's more than a bit silly.

6. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

One thing I am noticing is that there are duplicate additions to the log. Also, it no longer says stable, release, current or edge on the releases. We need that back to keep up when a build is ready for your choice of server updates.

9.1.0 (build 178) Fri Mar 26 01:31:17 2004

resolve bugzilla id 125

9.1.0 (build 177) Fri Mar 26 00:15:33 2004

unify the dns editting interface

add the option to remove multiple dns zones at once

9.1.0 (build 178) Fri Mar 26 00:37:14 2004

freebsd build

9.1.0 (build 177) Fri Mar 26 00:15:33 2004

7. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    One other thing, and this is not just cPanel but a lot of places. The change logs are written by developers who know what they did and take for granted that others should know what they meant.

I think a little more depth and detail really needs to go into these change logs along with a more P.R. approach. I think they forget that also potential clients are seeing these as well as current ones.

8. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

I agree completely with DG! I like to see what is potentiionally going to be broken with updates. I had no clue about the possibility of horde being busted the other night.

9. PbG

PbG Well-Known Member

Things that don't change die!

While the new change log may not be perfected I am grateful for the change. I actually got a little excited . . . much like when I first explored all the options in the old Xskin. It is definately a step in the right direction!

Thankyou Nick!

Ensuring you don't rest on your laurels let me say I also agree with baker . . . explain it to me like I'm a shix year old lol. Better yet delegate the updates to the changelog to someone who you will have to explain the changes to and let them update the log. This will mitigate the take it for granted you know wtf I'm talking about syndrome.

P.S Would still love to see the links in list accounts and email filters on the top. Stop making us scroll twice. Once to get to the bottom of the list because the account we are looking for is not on the first screen and again to actually scroll down to the desired account.

Same thing with the email filters. If I deploy 100 filters everytime I want to add another one or test one you make me scroll thru the list to get to the links buried on the bottom of the page. Good web design employs links/navigation on both the top and bottom of pages.

#9 PbG, Mar 31, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2004