The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new cpAddons module

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dave9000, Apr 16, 2006.

1. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is for the ones using the EDGE version as I do not believe this is included into the other releases yet.

Is there any docs on how this module works and how to manage it ?

Also it does not appear to pickup the old installs from the original script addon.

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I know that I once found an option hidden away to convert existing installs to be cpAddon installs, but for the life of me I cannot find it anymore. As for documentation, then only one I'm aware of is:

http://www.cpanel.net/docs/cpaddons/

One would hope that cPanel will update the WHM docs by the time it hits the other release trees.

3. Snowman30

Snowman30 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Jonathon

Let us know if you find it

4. cPDan

cPDan cPanel Staff
    Staff Member

http://www.cpanel.net/docs/cpaddons/

:208[2|3]/frontend/x/addoncgi/index.html

click on "The old addon system can be found here"

That is where you can upgrade then convert old installations to the new system :)

HTH!

5. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks that helped but what would help more is if we had a global convert in whm as its a pain to go through and convert all the sites one at a time

6. NetPublicist

NetPublicist Well-Known Member

I went to /frontend/x/addoncgi/index.html

I see how to access the old scripts, and the link for the new cpAddons, but there is no option to convert the old installations to the new system.

When I go into WHM the cpAddons doesn't detect any of the old installations.

7. JGrubbs

JGrubbs Active Member

I found it, it's under the "The new cPAddons system can be found here", there is a link at the top of that page to convert old installations.

8. cPDan

cPDan cPanel Staff
    Staff Member

At the top of addoncgi/cpaddons.html there is this text:

"Click here to convert installations from the previous addon system"

which goes to addoncgi/oldaddonshandler.html

HTH :)

9. codemonkey

codemonkey Member

They seemed to forget to put any of the files in the latest update to the Monsoon theme. When you click on scripts library link in cPanel you get a page that tells you that there is a new cPaddon page you can click to it or the old one. But in Monsoon you get a 404 page error. I checked the addoncgi folder for monsoon and found that most of the files are missing. Any idea's on what to do. I do not want to have to re-brand everything if I don't have too.

Thanks!

10. BenThomas

BenThomas Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Monsoon was just updated. Let me know if there are any other problems with the theme.

11. BenThomas

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Actually, Monsoon was only partially updated to give access to cPAddons. Another full update will occur tomorrow adding additional files and updating the main page.

12. codemonkey

codemonkey Member

Hello, I just did the force update and I still do not have any access to either version if the addon pages from the cPanel side. Is there something that I am not doing correctly?

The page that I get when I click on Addon Scripts is:

And both links are bad.

Also there is a really cool theme called 7DANA that I would prefer to use, but it seems like it may no longer be an updated theme. I know it has only the old addon page when you click the link. Does anyone know if this theme is still being updated?

Thank you,

Tony

13. Wallaby

Wallaby Well-Known Member

This is plain infuriating to me. I'm on WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.8.2-R83, WHM X v3.1.0. What I see is:

1. No documentation on the new system: what does it do, how does it work, how should we manage it?

2. What does "moderation" mean? What's this all about?

3. Why does it not pick up and update existing addon script installs? Or at the very least a clear indication "click here to update existing script installations".

4. The spelling and grammar errors don't give one confidence that the software behind the interface is correctly designed and coded.

I'm afraid it's another example of a half-baked poorly thought out idea shoved into CPanel well before it's ready.

/rant

14. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

I agree 100%. We have been forced to deal with this new scripts manager with almost no information. Now it has given me more headaches than I can deal with. Most installs don't work or we get broken installs. I just tried to "approve" a OS Commerce install and it doesnt seem to have done anything with the password protection or database creation. If I run some functions from the "Manage Cpaddons" in WHM they do nothing but refresh the screen.

This is horrible and is causing me all sorts of grief.

#14 nyjimbo, May 11, 2006
    Last edited: May 11, 2006
  15. BenThomas

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Have you checked the cPanel documentation? cPAddons documentation was included there long before it was released.
    This very simply means that you as the server owner must approve cPAddon installations prior to their installation. This is a configurable option.
    It does do this. We decided that it would be best to have the Addon user perform this task interactively. A command line version is located at '/scripts/oldaddoncgi2cpaddon'.
    While I don't doubt that a typo exists somewhere, where specifically are you referring? It's sometimes difficult to see the trees for the forest.
    Some love it, some don't. Regardless, it's a much improved system over the old addon system.

16. codemonkey

codemonkey Member

:confused: Hi, any help for my monsoon issue as I posted above? I seem to have gotten lost in the shuffle. It still doesnt allow any of my customers to access any form of the addon pages.

17. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Maybe I am going blind but I dont see any documentation for using Cp Addons, I DO see it for WRITING cpaddons and some "Under Construction" stuff elsewhere. So help an old fool out and point out where I can find documentation on proper usage for the whole Cpaddons under WHM ?

18. Wallaby

Wallaby Well-Known Member

Ben,

>Have you checked the cPanel documentation? cPAddons documentation was included
    > there long before it was released.

See comments above -- no useful docs.

>This very simply means that you as the server owner must approve cPAddon
    >installations prior to their installation. This is a configurable option.

Well why not explain it in WHM then?

>3. Why does it not pick up and update existing addon script installs? Or at the very least
    >a clear indication "click here to update existing script installations".
    >
    >It does do this.

How? Where is this option in WHM?

>We decided that it would be best to have the Addon user perform this task interactively.
    >A command line version is located at '/scripts/oldaddoncgi2cpaddon'.

How are we supposed to know any of this? Telepathy?

>Some love it, some don't. Regardless, it's a much improved system over
    >the old addon system

Some of the ideas are indeed valuable, but the implementation and explanation leaves huge amounts to be desired and does you guys no favours at all. More professionalism needed.

The response I hoped for was "Yep, we didn't explain this well and need to put more work in very urgently to make it more user friendly and ensure any bugs are properly ironed out."

I certainly don't expect to hear that installs keep failing in what is a shipping version of your product (WHM/Cpanel).

19. carluk

carluk Well-Known Member

Your using an edge/current build of cpanel, right?

20. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

Agreed... documentation is sorely lacking. Either it's extremely sparse, shows no information (example: mod_security configuration) or I'm not seeing it, which means it doesn't exist or it's not in a logical place.

Also, I have several accounts using PHP-Nuke... what happened to that? All I see now is Post-Nuke.