The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New cpanel mx settings in 11.25...

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by 4u123, Dec 19, 2009.

1. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Hi, I notice that cpanel have removed the option"Automatically setup /etc/localdomains, /etc/remotedomains, /etc/secondarymx based on where the mx entry is pointed." from the tweak settings page.

This is extremely worrying.

Disabling this option allowed us to force cpanel to ignore the MX record and set everything to local by default. This is essential for our configuration as we are using an external MTA but it routes mail back to the cpanel servers. We set the MX record via the DNS templates.

I'm interested to know if anyone else is concerned about this and if anyone knows how this new functionality works exactly. How can I ensure that everything works the same as it did before? Specifically my setup was working fine in 11.24 as follows...

1. New domain is configured to use external MX autonatically via the DNS templates.
    2. When new account is created, it sets the domain up in localdomains due to the tweak settings option to ignore the automatic MX config.
    3. Mail is routed via our external MTA and back to the cpanel server which accepts the mail as the domain resides in the localdomains file.

Now that this option is no longer available, I am presuming that the cpanel server will automatically detect the external MX when the new account is created and set the domain up in remotedomains, causing a problem.

#1 4u123, Dec 19, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  2. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You now have this choice at account creation time instead.

3. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I dont want to choose it on a per-account basis - I need a global default! How can I make sure that ALL accounts are created automatically as localdomains? This will cause a serious problem for us if we cant have it configured the same way it was before!

4. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Can you at least tell me what the default is if no option is chosen and point me to some information showing how we can set this via the API? Your short sentence replies are rarely helpful Nick. You might as well not bother replying if youre not going to elaborate.

5. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    On a freshly installed server running cPanel 11.25.0-R42399 the Mail Routing Settings in the Account creation interface defaults to Local Mail Exchanger

6. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Thanks Ken, If I continue to set accounts up via API commands made for pre 11.25 servers, this option is not specified. Will the account revert to the default setting as described above?

Have you documented these changes anywhere?

7. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The default is to setup the account in localdomains if no preference is specified.

There is some mention in the Release Notes.

8. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Our documentation for API2 was recently expanded; I believe the following two API2 functions may be of interest:
    API2, Email Module Documentation: Email::getalwaysaccept
    API2, Email Module Documentation: Email::setalwaysaccept

Related reference: Improved API2 Documentation Available - cPanel Forums

For inquiries related to using API calls I recommend the Developer Discussion forum area: Developer Discussions - cPanel Forums

9. fenixer

fenixer Well-Known Member

Hello:

IMHO, this is completely wrong....

Now, I am just transferring accounts between servers, and I am facing this problem.... before this new configuration, the DNS zone was imported without changes and Cpanel determined if domain should be at localdomains or not.

Now all of them are local domains, with their MX pointing to remote servers, and this is not fixed automatically any way.... I must do it manually...

completely unuseless... the previous setting was PERFECT!

wrong way, cpanel guys, imho.

10. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    What is the full cPanel version of the systems involved (transferring from and transferring to)?

I may suggest trying the following script; this should help to ensure the domain is setup in the correct file (localdomains or remotedomains) based on the MX record stored in the associated DNS zone:
    Code:
    # /scripts/checkalldomainsmxs
    This script will check each MX entry for every domain configured on this machine. 

The MX record will be determined from the zone file associated with this server, 
    not from a remote query of the DNS record. If you are using and editing the zone
    file on a server not associated with this server through a DNS cluster configuration,
    then this utility will configure your email settings incorrectly. 

This utility updates the following files which alter the local delivery and sending
    methods of email:

/etc/localdomains
    /etc/remotedomains
    /etc/secondarymx

As a safety precaution you must run this utility with the argument "--yes" to proceed.
        example: 
            /scripts/checkalldomainsmxs --yes

#10 cPanelDon, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010