The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New cPanel Setup - domain question

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by microsyskl, Feb 11, 2016.

1. microsyskl

microsyskl Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am setting up a new VPS with CPanel. I will do a fresh install from scratch.

I need to know what is considered Best Practice when naming this server. I already have another VPS I created that is LIVE with another host and created an SSL cert for that domain. CPanel is installed and operational for some time with no problems...

Let's just say that name is server.domainname.com

Is it Best Practice to setup a Brand New domain name for the new VPS ? or can I stay with the existing domain name I already have setup and create a sub-domain for this server?..
    server1@domainname.com

How do SSL certificates respond to that?

Thanks!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Yes, it's acceptable to use the same domain name, with a different subdomain name, as the server's hostname. Typically, you would purchase or generate a separate SSL certificate, as the certificates are installed for the specific hostname as opposed to the individual domain names:

SSL FAQ and Troubleshooting - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.

3. microsyskl

microsyskl Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks so much - perfect! That's what I suspected, but didn't want to get too far and then discover I needed to undo things. My first certificate was for a single domain. I may just get a wildcard domain or something similar so i can easily add additional servers on the same certificate as i go rather than create and maintain multiple certificates then.