New Datacenter Server Restore

rctvtech

Registered
Jan 4, 2021
USA
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
Hello everyone. We are currently considering moving our current WHM/CPANEL Installation to a new datacenter and are looking for some input on how to work through this scenario. We would like to test site performance between the two locations by updating a local host file to point to the new server and running some latency tests. Based on this decision we would shut down the old server and move to the new one full time.

We currently have VM backups of our current WHM/CPANEL server that we plan on restoring to the new datacenter host. I understand our license is attached by IP and was wondering how this would impact us or it it would even be possible. From what I understand, if we decide to move we would need to update our license IP to the new location.

Is this even possible with CPANEL licensing? Would our current server be affected when we stand up the new one or would a trial mode go into effect until we resolve the licensing issue?

Any other pitfalls I should look out for?

Last edited by a moderator:

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! It sounds like you've put some thought into the process and you're well prepared. You'll be able to get a trial license on the new machine for your work, which should happen when you first log in to WHM after the installation. If not, just contact us and we can get that setup for you.

While moving a whole VM backup could work, you may want to try the Transfer Tool, with the Live Transfer option disabled:

This will let you move all your accounts and EasyApache settings, as well as other server settings, over to the new machine. At that point, you could then test with the hosts file as you've planned.

Let me know if you have any other questions about this process!

rctvtech

Registered
Jan 4, 2021
USA
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
Hi Rex,

Thank you for the response. If we did move forward with the restoring the VM backup do you know how it would handle the initial bootup / licensing issue?

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I can't say for sure because I'm not certain what "VM backup" means entirely - is this a full image of your entire system?

If so, you'd just restore it, and then make sure you have a license in place for the new IP address. Once the license has been applied, either a paid license or trial, you would just run /usr/local/cpanel/cpkeyclt to update the license on the system to get that working normally.

keat63

Nov 20, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I went through this around 12 months ago.

The way I went about it was to purchase the new server about a month before I planned on migrating.

Configure the new server, the best you can as close as the old one.
Make sure you use the same configs. Use EasyApache to turn your current config in to a profile, which you can then apply on your new server.
Get all your other bits of software installed and mirrored the best you can.
A few evenings tinkering, and it doesn't take much to almost mirror the builds.

Then use the migration tool to move accounts from one server to the other.
I did mine in order of least priority.
I left one of my quieter sites running on the new server for a few days to test for problems.
Then once I was confident that all was well and working, I slowly migrated the other accounts over a period of about a week.

In the event that something wasn't right, I still had the ability to roll back to the old server, which was only a few simple dns adjustments.

Reactions: cPRex

rctvtech

Registered
Jan 4, 2021
USA
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
I can't say for sure because I'm not certain what "VM backup" means entirely - is this a full image of your entire system?

If so, you'd just restore it, and then make sure you have a license in place for the new IP address. Once the license has been applied, either a paid license or trial, you would just run /usr/local/cpanel/cpkeyclt to update the license on the system to get that working normally.
Yes, this would be an exact copy of the current server deployment. That means the license would be applied but with wrong IP initially. Would that force it to trial? Is there a way to force a new trial license?

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
You'll want to follow the steps here to get the trial license setup:

If that doesn't work, just contact our Customer Support team and explain the situation and we can get one issued for you :D