The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New DNS Cluster Function Questions

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by chrisfox75, Nov 14, 2014.

1. chrisfox75

chrisfox75 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have read through all the documents and understand how things get setup but i have a few questions how things are going to work.

I will have 9 servers that all currently running local dns for the domains the customers buy on each server, my goal is to setup a cluster for dns to get all the dns records on 2 servers.

For example

DNS CLUSTER 1 : NS1.SERVER.NET
    DNS CLUSTER 2 : NS2.SERVER.NET

These 2 boxes will be converted to the cluster master boxes and can i configure all the other servers to push their DNS to these 2 boxes and then each user that owns their domain that i don't host they set their DNS servers in their domain record to my NS1.SERVER.NET and NS2.SERVER.NET. The customer used to set their domain records to point to the server directly they have their website on for example user1 has an account on server 9 which is NOT one of the DNS clustered boxes so he would set his dns to NS1.SERVER9.NET AND NS2.SERVER9.NET, I'm assuming how it will work now that the users account will stay on SERVER9.SERVER9.NET i will have him change his DNS to NS1.SERVER.NET AND NS2.SERVER.NET so that if one day i need to move his account around from server9 to server5 cause I'm bringing a box down for good that dns will automatically update on NS1.SERVER.NET and NS2.SERVER.NET.

Am i on the right track with this???

Thanks

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Yes, that is how it works. Since the name servers will remain the same, you can seamlessly transfer the account to another server in the cluster without updating the name servers at the registrar.

Thank you.

3. chrisfox75

chrisfox75 Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for your help!