Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New DNS Editor and MX routing

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by 4u123, Feb 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I've just used the new cpanel DNS editor for the first time to test changing an MX record for a customer to an external MX. I noted that there is no longer an option to set the MX routing to remote. So I checked the DNS record afterwards in WHM to make sure this had happened. Sadly it showed that the routing was still set to local.

This poses a problem. It means that the server will consider the domain to be local and retain the domain in /etc/localdomains which is not the correct behaviour for a domain with a remote MX.

This issue will stop mail being routed when messages are sent between email addresses at the domain itself. Our system also relies on hooks that remove the domain from our inbound mail cluster if the routing is changed from local to remote. I do hope this will be fixed before cpanel remove the current functionality.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

cPanel version 64 will include an option named "Email Routing" within cPanel that will allow you to manage the email routing configuration.

Thank you.

4. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Bad idea. The routing option needs to be at the exact place the MX record is changed, not somewhere else in cpanel. You're just making the process more complicated.

5. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @4u123,

I've opened internal case CPANEL-11333 to report this concern. I'll update this thread with more information on the status of this case as it becomes available.

Thank you.

6. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

You've already broken the current functionality in two different ways in this most recent release so I won't hold my breath that you'll be able to get this working correctly. Why do you always implement changes without thinking things though properly?

You should be aware that currently, changing the routing via the "MX Entry" option to "remote" causes all MX records to be deleted and replaced with a single one containing either the domain name itself, or the servers hostname. To make this worse, this change doesn't become apparent in the interface unless you go back in and take a look.

To reproduce this problem, simply go into the MX Entry option and change the MX records to remote hostnames - then save. Then, manually change the routing from auto to remote.

This causes cpanel to wipe out the changes and replace with an inappropriate hostname.

Going back in and changing it again seems to work the second time - but this is causing headaches for our users and it needs resolving quickly.

Lets put aside the fact that changing the routing to "remote" is currently forcing the MX records to change to the local server. Where are you pulling this info from? What makes you think that at any time we would want the routing to be fixed to the server's hostname or to the domain name itself? In small implementations this may be the norm and I think you have got the incorrect idea that the only scenario in which the routing is set to "local" is if the MX record is set to the local domain or server. This is absolutely not the case. If you're using that logic you're going to cause problems for lots of web hosts.

Many good web hosts use external MTA's for their inbound mail which sends the mail directly to the cpanel server. In our environment, there is never a situation where the MX record would be set to either the hosting server or the domain itself - but it is important for the routing to be set to local rather than auto or remote - because the hooks are used to either add or remove the domain from the external MTA depending on the routing.

If you are going to automatically force the MX records to change without warning - which is exactly what you've done here - you should at the very least give us an option to specify the default MX records in the cpanel configuration instead of making incorrect assumptions, system wide!

This is just another example of cpanel not thinking things through properly before implementing changes.

So right now, we have a situation whereby the customer might use the new DNS editor to change an MX record - but if they do, cpanel won't update the routing to remote - and if they use the MX Entry option - as soon as they set the routing to remote, cpanel automatically removes the MX entries and replaces them with incorrect ones. It's farcical.

kitchin likes this.
  7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I'm happy to open a bug report to address this concern, however I'm currently unable to reproduce this issue on a test system running cPanel version 62.0.15 using the following steps:

1. Created a new cPanel account, ensuring to select "Automatically Detect Configuration" under "Mail Routing Settings" instead of the default value of "Local Mail Exchanger".
    2. Opened cPanel for this account, and browsed to the MX Entry option.
    3. Clicked on "Edit" for the default MX record and changed the destination to a remote server.
    4. Opened the MX Entry page again and selected "Remote Mail Exchanger" under "Email Routing".
    5. Confirmed the remote host remained the host in the MX entry.

Could you verify if you can reproduce the issue using these same steps, or if there's anything different I should do to reproduce the issue?

Thank you.

8. 4u123

4u123 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Thanks Michael, I can now confirm that this particular problem is not a cpanel issue. The problem of the MX record being changed is a fault in the Spam Experts cpanel plugin.

cPanelMichael likes this.